Thread: Vegan to Paleo and Protein intake page

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member

Vegan to Paleo and Protein intake

Shop Now
    I guess to give everyone a background, a few years ago I took accutane and woke up with severe stomach problems. Everything kind of went downhill from there, from thyroid, to losing my period, to having severe food allergies (leaky gut basically- but was allergic to every single food on the test), and severe anemia. I was in a bad bad state. Yet, I was able to push myself through it all and still managed to run about 5 miles a day. Probably did not help my condition in any way but I thought it would help my stomach with its inflammation and constant irritation.

Anyways, I found a wonderful doctor who has helped me through nutrition and supplements, and now I am in the final stages of healing. He has consistently told me, as well as my my nutritionist, that protein protein protein is KEY to healing gut disorders, thyroid, repairing reproductive organs etc. However, throughout the last 5 months I thought that adopting a vegan diet was my answer. I felt better, but kind of felt stalled as of recently. I can't tolerate tofu or beans, which made me come back to Primal Blue Print (which is one of the first health books I read when I was dealing with these initial problems). I feel best on protein, and higher fat diets and ZERO grains/ starches. However, since adopting a higher protein diet, I get REALLY tired when I have it at lunch. I just started this a few days ago, take digestive enzymes, yet after lunch I immediately have to take a nap.

Has anyone experienced this shift? Is this temporary? I hope my body adjusts! Thanks to anyone who reads my long post!

js290 is offline Senior Member

Ryokumuji is offline Senior Member
    Just wanted to say, very helpful link! Thanks for posting it.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    Have you tried making some good bone broths? It really helped improve my gut problems and digestion. I too used Accutane during high school and shortly after I experienced really bad allergies and digestion/reflux issues. Eliminating grains/gluten and dairy helped massively. But in order for me to really rebuild my gut I followed the GAPS diet which included a lot of mineral rich bone broth, fermented foods, as well as some good probiotics. Protein alone without a good fat source tends to make me lethergic as well. Just as long as I have some good healthy fats in my meals I don't get sluggish.

I used to do the chronic cardio thing too and I was logging 5-10 miles per day. I have such better results now just running sprints once per week and walking more often. Are you still doing that much cardio as well?
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

VeggieLover is offline Senior Member
    I have the book on scd diet, which is the same as gaps I believe. I take a ton of probiotics as well. What about yogurt? I know its not paleo but maybe it helps restore my gut at first? Interesting about protein and no fats, because I just realized there is relatively no fat at lunch. Will need to change that fore sur. Balance, when you were on gaps what were some staples for your meals?

I definitely do not run! I walk every day and do weights and yoga. I find no need to run, only a few times a week I get an urge to get out there.

Balance is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by VeggieLover View Post
    I have the book on scd diet, which is the same as gaps I believe. I take a ton of probiotics as well. What about yogurt? I know its not paleo but maybe it helps restore my gut at first? Interesting about protein and no fats, because I just realized there is relatively no fat at lunch. Will need to change that fore sur. Balance, when you were on gaps what were some staples for your meals?

I definitely do not run! I walk every day and do weights and yoga. I find no need to run, only a few times a week I get an urge to get out there.
    When I did GAPS it was mostly bone broths, meats and steamed veggies. I was really strict about staying away from certain foods. Of course gluten and dairy should be avoided while your gut is healing. But I was also avoiding foods that were too acidic and high on the carbohydrate list. Lentils/legumes were also avoided. Most of these foods I still avoid now, but now that my gut is healed I can do raw dairy with no problem. I drink coffee again but in much smaller doses than before.

As for lunch, if you don't have enough fat just throw in an avocado and some olives or something like that. It will really help your energy levels after lunch. It worked for me personally. Good luck!
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.