Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 18

Thread: Kettlebells vs DB or Plate? page

  1. #1
    Heidi's Avatar
    Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    529

    Kettlebells vs DB or Plate?

    Primal Fuel
    I was watching an infomercial the other morning showing a kettlebell workout. The exercises look like fun, but I don't really want to spend money on kettlebells. Is it okay to use a dumbbell or plate instead?
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

  2. #2
    pjgh's Avatar
    pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Halifax, UK
    Posts
    1,196
    ... or a spring, or a bucket of water, or a bag full of tinned food. Weights are weights! In fact, unpredictable weights are the best - bags of water.

  3. #3
    primalclubber's Avatar
    primalclubber is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    SF Bay Area
    Posts
    286
    If it was Kettleworx, it's not kettlebell training, it's an injury waiting to happen...

  4. #4
    gunnk's Avatar
    gunnk is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Carrboro, NC
    Posts
    274
    Lift heavy objects. Lift them in different ways. Move naturally (avoid weight machines). Anything else is for times you have some specific need or goal.

    The best workouts are natural workouts. Move a big pile of rocks from point A to point B and back again. That's a GREAT whole-body workout.
    Life is short: Void the warranty.

  5. #5
    Heidi's Avatar
    Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by primalclubber View Post
    If it was Kettleworx, it's not kettlebell training, it's an injury waiting to happen...
    Darn it, that's what it was. Thanks for the heads up!
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

  6. #6
    Heidi's Avatar
    Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    ... or a spring, or a bucket of water, or a bag full of tinned food. Weights are weights! In fact, unpredictable weights are the best - bags of water.
    That's what I was thinking, but just wanted to make sure. Thanks.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

  7. #7
    Heidi's Avatar
    Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnk View Post
    Lift heavy objects. Lift them in different ways. Move naturally (avoid weight machines). Anything else is for times you have some specific need or goal.

    The best workouts are natural workouts. Move a big pile of rocks from point A to point B and back again. That's a GREAT whole-body workout.
    I use my 3 yr old (and occasionally my 7 yr old) in some of my workouts. They get a kick out of it. I want to learn to do more functional workouts. I saw a link for the PB fitness book--guess it's high time I check it out.
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

  8. #8
    Stallion's Avatar
    Stallion is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    125
    if you are looking for a "real" KB workout that you can follow along with, check out the Skogg system.
    The instruction is second to none, and it will teach you the six most basic kb exercises:

    Swings, Cleans, Snatches, Over Head Presses, High Pulls and Squats.


    Skogg System

  9. #9
    Apex Predator's Avatar
    Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    2,355
    Quote Originally Posted by gunnk View Post
    Lift heavy objects. Lift them in different ways. Move naturally (avoid weight machines). Anything else is for times you have some specific need or goal.

    The best workouts are natural workouts. Move a big pile of rocks from point A to point B and back again. That's a GREAT whole-body workout.
    Preach!

  10. #10
    Heidi's Avatar
    Heidi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    529
    Quote Originally Posted by Stallion View Post
    if you are looking for a "real" KB workout that you can follow along with, check out the Skogg system.
    The instruction is second to none, and it will teach you the six most basic kb exercises:

    Swings, Cleans, Snatches, Over Head Presses, High Pulls and Squats.


    Skogg System
    I also checked out one of his Youtube workout videos. Wow, he's such a muscular guy and so fast at the same time. Impressive!
    I'm retraining and strengthening my taste buds, one primal meal at a time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •