Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to store homemade Jerky? page

WhatAboutJason is offline Junior Member

How to store homemade Jerky?

Shop Now
    A while back i bought a meat dehydrator from Amazon.
    I wrote a post about it here: Meat Gun Slinger
    Although the consistency of the jerky turned out well, i wasn't to hot on the flavor. But luckily that is an easy fix.
    My problem was, i stored the jerky in some Tupperware in my pantry and in about 3 days i noticed some mold.....ICK
    Jerky happens to be one of my favorite Paleo snacks and I dont want to keep buying Jack Links since it's full of garbage.
    Does anyone have any suggestions on how to prepare and store homemade jerky?
    Last edited by WhatAboutJason; 07-19-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I make large quantities of jerky every month and a half to two months (I start with around 15lbs of meat now) and I store it in plastic bags in the refrigerator until I use it. I might be able to get away without refrigeration but I've honestly never tested the theory and I see no reason to.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Homemade jerky is a staple food for me and makes a great quick meal when I'm out and moving and I don't have time to cook. I also like the fact that the jerky I make is free of preservatives, soy, and sugar unlike the commercial stuff. Mine is also spicier and tastes better (to me and I've never had someone try it that didn't like it)
    Last edited by Daemonized; 07-19-2011 at 02:10 PM.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    I also store mine in plastic bags in the fridge. I also put a napkin/paper towel in there with the strips to absorb any moisture. If you want to store at room temp, you'd probably want to vacuum seal it with one of those silica gel packs inside.

taylor044 is offline Junior Member
    I store it in the freezer and pull it out when I'm ready to eat it. I've found that it's actually pretty good frozen, but you would have to try it for yourself.

guys i am from australia and would love a starters jerky recipe? Any tricks to know and what to do etc? Any help appreciated!

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Hi and welcome to the forum, jay.

Always start with a lean cut of meat for jerky (eye of round and london broil are usually cheap here). I've heard that game meats (deer, ostrich?, maybe even kangaroo) work great, but I've just made it with beef so far. Stick it in the freezer for ~20 minutes or a little longer to firm up so slicing is easier. Cut into 0.25"/6mm wide strips.

Then you can marinate if you wish. Last time I made a batch I think I used 1 TBSP of salt and a cup of liquid to marinate 2 pounds of meat. I also added a ton of pepper and used red wine for half of the liquid. I let it marinate for a day or so.

Then either place the strips in your dehydrator or on a cooling rack over a sheet tray in the oven on the lowest temp possible. Dry until the jerky is like a green twig when you bend it. It should be dry enough that it's not rubbery at all, but not so dry that it cracks and breaks. This usually takes about 10 hours or a little more with my dehydrator. It's better to err on the side of too dry since excess moisture will cause spoilage.

JeffC is offline Senior Member
    I only do extruder gun jerky with dry spices, about 3lbs raw meat at a time, usually bison.

First step: After it is done in the dehydrator, you have to let it sit out for an hour or two to cool at room temps. I usually do that by laying down two paper towels on a plate, layering jerky on it, then putting another two sheets of paper towels on top of that, then layering jerky on top ot that, etc. I find that this sucks out some of the extra moisture and fat onto the paper towels which you will readily see.

Second step: After it's been like that a few hours, I put it in a large tupperware container in the fridge. This will cause some condensation to form and I wipe it off the sides of the container with a paper towel (first dump out the jerky on a plate) wipe off the moisture then put the jerky back in the container. two or three times like this will suck out more moisture. This step may not be necessary but it is easy enough to do do so I usually do it.

Third step: long term storage, put about 20 bite sized pieces in zip lock baggies, then put those baggies inside a larger gallon ziplock bag in the freezer. I take out a bag as I feel like it, they dethaw very quickly since they are thin, perhaps in 30 minutes. I've never had any spoilage problems doing it like this. I also notice that when the meat thaws, it is not too moist which means I have succeeded in sucking out the moisture which is good to inhibit mold.

carlh is offline Senior Member
    If it's moldy it might not have been dried enough - that means there's still enough moisture to allow mold growth. Try leaner cuts and a little longer drying time. Also try storing it so it can breathe - a cool, dry container with a few holes in it is better than completely shut away, where all its own moisture is stuck like a meat terrarium.

WhatAboutJason is offline Junior Member
    It looks like i will definitely try storage in my fridge this next go around. Now i just need to find a better spice mix. I just used the "original" flavor that came with the dehydrator on my 1st batch

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast