Thread: Beef Liver and Cholesterol Question page

Leida is offline Senior Member

Beef Liver and Cholesterol Question

Primal Fuel
    I love liver. I have plenty of it from the grass-fed cow we are enthusiastically eating as a family. The trouble is, my husband have a bit of an elevated cholesterol and by whatever reason, the only thing he does to control it is not wanting to eat liver. He has no qualms about eggs, bacon, butter, cookies and makes no efforts to lose weight, but as soon as I suggest cooking liver for dinner he is going into cholesterol. He ate liver just fine and liked it before his doctor said he had high cholesterol and shouldn't eat organ meats. Okay, is there anything out there that I can bring to him as a defence to eating liver maybe once a month? My argument so far is that if one even wants to worry about cholesterol, it is correlated the most with body weight, so eating or not eating liver makes less difference than total amount of food consummed....

Any ideas? I just dislike cooking separate dinners!

Did the doctor explain why he should not eat organ meats? The only reason I can surmise is that they are sources of dietary cholesterol, which has zero correlation to serum cholesterol. In other words, if your husband is eating eggs, bacon, and butter already, then refusing to eat liver on the basis of dietary cholesterol is inconsistent.

Serum cholesterol per se is not a matter of concern, if the HDL levels and HDL:TG levels are good. Perhaps check out books by Drs. Malcolm Kendrick, Uffe Ravnskov, Anthony Colpo, etc., to get a better idea of how cholesterol functions in the body.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    You know, the doctor apparently did not even explained why the liver was singled out like that.

My hubby will have a new doctor soon enough and his check up, so I will tell him to get a bit more answers this time, in so far as possible in our Canadian system where the doctor nearly pushes you out of the doors the moment he did his short speech and checked your blood pressure.

Until then, I will make liver for myself and the All Natural Blah-Blah-Blah Hotdogs for the child and the hubby, since I can't stand hotdogs and they like them.