Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pot Roast Gravy? page

LisaLS is offline Senior Member

Pot Roast Gravy?

Shop Now
    Looking for some help in making a slow cooker pot roast that produces a thick yummy gravy.

I'm slow cooking one right now and the juices are just so watery.
    Any suggestions on what I could do to thicken it up and give it a more creamy texture?

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I know of two methods:

Reduce the juices (heat until a lot of the water evaporates) and then add a few pats of butter.

Add a "primal starch" thickener such as potato starch, arrowroot, or tapioca flour, if you're not averse to a little bit of additional starch. I haven't used any of these in making a gravy, so I don't know how well they work. It might be a good idea to temper them instead of just dumping straight into the gravy.

Thanks for the suggestions.
    I have some arrowroot powder. Not sure if it's ok to add some now, or wait until it's done and then make the gravy on the stove.
    I'll just wait probably heh.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I'll second reduction, with an additional note: once the stock is reduced and still simmering, quickly stir in cold butter (it thickens the liquid and makes it darn tasty).
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Egerland is offline Senior Member
    Don't use coconut flour. Tried it once, YUCK.

I don't cook with slow cookers, but they won't reduce liquids substantially enough to thicken. You'll need to take the liquids and thicken on the stovetop. You can use thickeners like arrowroot, but I would suggest kicking it up to high until it's just ready to boil, then reducing to a simmer until thick, and as mentioned, hitting it with some butter at the end. If you have some extra time, reduce the liquid, add a generous splash of red wine, reduce again, and then add butter to finish. That will make the sauce really rich.

geostump is online now Senior Member
    I have tried 5 times to reduce a sauce and it doesn't seem to work. How do you do it?
    Georgette

Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I have tried 5 times to reduce a sauce and it doesn't seem to work. How do you do it?
    A sauce from pan drippings or cooked meat should contain moisture that will evaporate at a medium heat (around a simmer). You don't want to boil and possibly burn the sauce, but a slow, steady cooking should reduce and thicken the sauce substantially. Hard to say how long without knowing what the volume is, but if you have a LOT of sauce, don't use a deep pan, use a wide one to maximize evaporation. Usually you can thicken a sauce by half in 15-20 minutes.

erica057 is offline Senior Member
    Tomato paste works if you don't mind a tomato-ey sauce. Sour cream works too, like this recipe: Kalyn's Kitchen: Crockpot Recipe for Hungarian Pot Roast with Sour Cream and Paprika Gravy

Next time, though, I'd add much less liquid to the pot.
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

Really great suggestions everyone! Thanks so much!
    Going to try my hand at reducing first and see how that goes. Love the sound of putting butter in at the end. MMMMM lol

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast