Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Couldn't eating awful very rarely be beneficial? page

Grim is offline Member

Couldn't eating awful very rarely be beneficial?

Primal Fuel
    My boss had a going away lunch. They wanted pizza, which means I had to go. So I figured what the hell, I'll eat some pizza. I hadn't eaten bread in months, so why not?

Well, I feel awful. Light headed, vision is a little blurry, and I know I'm about to crash. Oh, and I'm bloated to boot. Just uuugghhh.

So I'm trying to make a positive out of this. I've heard from dieters about the "system shock" approach where you just go all out every so often to get your body out of rhythm. Tim Ferris (for what it's worth) talks about this in his 4 hour body book, but it didn't seem like the best idea to me.

Could the system shock thing do some good? Or is it total BS and I just might have to do an extra WoW this week?

ps~ I'm aware of what a carb refeed is, and I'm not talking about that.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    there are plenty of people who think this is a good idea. basically, it's like a refeed...just a crappy one (crappy referring to the food, not the nature of the refeed). i know that ferris and a BBS guy named Joel Marion both advocate the idea of eating like a pack of teenagers once a week to kick your leptin production into high gear. i'll do this from time to time, at certain parties or for birthdays/holidays/etc...i just have to get control of how much i'm having or i can really feel sluggish and basically want to throw up for a couple of days. it's not going to cause any long term damage...have some pizza if it's going to connect you with people.

localad is offline Senior Member
    Pizza hormesis.

At least you were sociable and I hope it was tasty.

I say SUMO!
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member
    I agree, Grim. I figure it's like building up an immunity to iocaine powder.

usernamewhy is offline Junior Member
    i think what made u really sick were the grains/wheat. might be different for every person

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    .. i know that ferris and a BBS guy named Joel Marion both advocate the idea of eating like a pack of teenagers once a week to kick your leptin production into high gear. ..
    I would be open to the idea that some variety, even bad variety, may still help, but I don't know if this leptin production explanation is correct or complete.

I think we can agree that we do not know all there is to know and likely never will. Sometimes you just experiment and do what works, even if you cant explain it.

namelesswonder is online now Moderator
    Not sure if I'm repeating what others said, but it really sounds mental. If feeling awful reaffirms your faith/trust/whatever in eating healthy, it'll probably make you a better person in the long run.

Grim is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by usernamewhy View Post
    i think what made u really sick were the grains/wheat. might be different for every person
    That's exactly what made me sick.

Juliemama is offline Senior Member
    I have always said, since discovering this site a few years ago, that Grok ate what he found. Sometimes that was trash. Sometimes it made him sick, and maybe he would remember not to eat that again. (avoid poisonous things). Sometimes he ate trash because that was all he could find. He wouldn't have had a perfect kill every day, and sometimes the land they roved through had vegetation that was unfamiliar to them.
    I avoid grains and gluten daily, but every now and then I have a moment, I eat it, and I blow up like a tick. lol..a very visual reminder that I really shouldn't do that!

carlh is offline Senior Member
    I thought you mistyped "offal" in the thread subject...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast