Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rabbit starvation page

quelsen is offline Senior Member

Rabbit starvation

you know how the indians used rabbit as a food of last resort. I have notices that chicken just doesnt nourish me. it is annoying since i enjoy chicken but apparantly it doesnt feed me as the next day i am starving and weak.

comments?
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    you know how the indians used rabbit as a food of last resort. I have notices that chicken just doesnt nourish me. it is annoying since i enjoy chicken but apparantly it doesnt feed me as the next day i am starving and weak.

comments?
    Interesting. Never heard of that before.
    Georgette

Juliemama is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating the darker meat, too, or just breast meat?

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    I eat the fattiest parts of chicken first(including skin). I always save the breast for last and eat it with added fat. Wild birds do not have white meat. The white meat on Turkeys and Chickens is from making them flightless. The muscles aren't used like they're supposed to be and are lacking in nutrients and such. You can breed the underused muscles to be big - but that doesn't make them wholly nutritious.

Not even flightless wild birds such as Ostriches and such have white meat.

sjmc is offline Senior Member
    Honey badger! Seen the youTube video?

Anyway, are you removing the chicken skin? (The problem with rabbits is their ultra-leanness, right?) I'd think that the rest of your diet should keep you satiated though.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Oh yeah -
    If you cook the chicken so most of the fat renders and drains away - you're not getting enough fat with your protein.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Interesting. Never heard of that before.
    Yes, there's actually a term "rabbit starvation". The official name is "protein poisoning".

Stefansson used the term "rabbit starvation", although I don't know that he actually invented it. (The OED probably has the earliest traceable use in print.) Certainly, American indians seem to have considered that having only very lean meat, such as you get with small game, might actually be worse than having nothing to eat at all. You get diarrhoea within days, and in a couple of weeks you're dead. Political prisoners in some South American countries have actually been deliberately but rather stealthily executed that way—by giving them only lean meat to eat.

I don't know that anyone knows quite why it's so fatal.

Some low-carb diets, though not most, have too much protein and not enough fat. (I think the South Beach Diet is an example.) There are a number of problems with that kind of regimen—not least that it depletes vitamin A from the body.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
    Yes, there's actually a term "rabbit starvation". The official name is "protein poisoning".

Stefansson used the term "rabbit starvation", although I don't know that he actually invented it. (The OED probably has the earliest traceable use in print.) Certainly, American indians seem to have considered that having only very lean meat, such as you get with small game, might actually be worse than having nothing to eat at all. You get diarrhoea within days, and in a couple of weeks you're dead. Political prisoners in some South American countries have actually been deliberately but rather stealthily executed that way—by giving them only lean meat to eat.

I don't know that anyone knows quite why it's so fatal.

Some low-carb diets, though not most, have too much protein and not enough fat. (I think the South Beach Diet is an example.) There are a number of problems with that kind of regimen—not least that it depletes vitamin A from the body.
    The things you learn here. Interesting.
    Georgette

Catherine is offline Senior Member
    i think i learned about the rabbit starvation from that Les Stroud's survivorman. He's a pretty interesting guy.

localad is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Last edited by localad; 07-19-2011 at 11:48 AM.
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast