Thread: Yummy chickeny-bacony discovery page

NeoPaleo is offline Junior Member

Yummy chickeny-bacony discovery

Shop Now
    So, I like getting rotisserie chickens (I know, not "ideal", but inexpensive and yummy), but I've never liked eating the breast meat as it can be so dry and bland (compared to the dark meat anyway). So I was looking through some old threads about what people may be doing with rotisserie chicken breast meat to "liven it up", but I didn't find anything that really stood out.

So I decided to make (for the first time ever) some baconaise. And OMG, baconaise goes absolutely perfectly with chicken breasts!! For the first time ever, I was enjoying eating the breast meat!

I think the baconaise is definitely going to help liven up a lot of different foods, and help me keep my fat-intake up where it should be.

Hilary is online now Senior Member
    Leftover roast chicken + pesto + tomatoes, shallow oven dish, topped with the skin, optionally with some mozarella as well, heated through until the skin's good and crispy... not bad, not bad at all.

Betho is offline Senior Member
    Chicken bacony stuff is awesome! When I cook chicken in the skillet I always use saved bacon grease. One of our favorite meals is chicken breast fried in bacon grease, sliced and mixed up with tomato, bacon bits and avocado over a salad. I like to add ranch as well. My non-primal husband loves it as a filling in a tortilla wrap.

I think one of the best food combos in the world is chicken+bacon+avocado. I like Hilary's pesto suggestion too, I might just make that for dinner tonight! I often make a pesto chicken with cooked chicken and then a sauce made with pesto, cream cheese and homemade chicken stock (aka bone broth).

One of these days I am so going to try making baconaise. I just never have much to spare for drippings since I use all I can for my morning eggs.

denbro01 is offline Senior Member
    Chicken off the rotisserie not ideal? How come? A whole chicken cooked over fire....sounds pretty ideal to me!! Carry on!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    Some good ideas here.

FYI: If you reheat breasts in a steamer, they will be so sweet and tender. Reheated microwaved chicken = tough, yuck.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Paleobirdy is offline Senior Member
    I cook bacon and then add cooked chicken breast, some curry powder and some Thai basil for some quick leftovers.

erikJ is offline Senior Member
    If you roast your own chicken you can lay strips of bacon over the breasts before it goes in the oven, Take them off about half way through so they don't burn and eat them. It helps protect the breast from burning and keeps it moist. Put veggies under the chicken, YUM bacon basted veggies.

rayout is offline Senior Member
    There's a cooking technique called "barding" for birds with low amounts of fat. Bacon can be used but you can also use lard.

MikeRoger is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoPaleo View Post
    So, I like getting rotisserie chickens (I know, not "ideal", but inexpensive and yummy), but I've never liked eating the breast meat as it can be so dry and bland (compared to the dark meat anyway). So I was looking through some old threads about what people may be doing with rotisserie chicken breast meat to "liven it up", but I didn't find anything that really stood out.

So I decided to make (for the first time ever) some baconaise. And OMG, baconaise goes absolutely perfectly with chicken breasts!! For the first time ever, I was enjoying eating the breast meat!

I think the baconaise is definitely going to help liven up a lot of different foods, and help me keep my fat-intake up where it should be.
    I love easy recipes, and this looks like one that will have some yummy flavor to it. I am going to have to give it a try this week. I often prepare rotisserie chicken and veggies over rice. Thanks for sharing with us.

NeoPaleo is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by denbro01 View Post
    Chicken off the rotisserie not ideal? How come? A whole chicken cooked over fire....sounds pretty ideal to me!! Carry on!
    Sorry. I should have been more clear. I meant that the ones you buy at the grocery store (like $6 at Safeway) might not be ideal - being that they're far from free-range and organic, and they're usually covered in a rub that contains all sorts or non-paleo ingredients. (Why can't they JUST use salt and spices?!?!?!)

If you roast them yourself... then they may in fact be ideal. And I'd be jealous.