Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Widely-available pastured cheese? page

erica057 is offline Senior Member

Widely-available pastured cheese?

Primal Fuel
    I was wondering if anyone has recommendations for primal-ish cheese that I can easily find? I'm near a Publix, a Whole Foods, and a Fresh Market. Basically I want something made from raw milk from grass-fed pastured cows. Anyone know of a brand that meets this criteria? TIA!
    My food blog ~ http://stuffimakemyhusband.blogspot.com
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Mark recommends cheddar and feta as sensible cheese choices. Feta is from goats' milk (or sheep milk) and MUST be Greek for EU designation, but feta-style cheese is plentiful outside of Greece.

... back to cows. Cheddar is made from cows' milk. Find a farm that milks their own cows for cheese - ask how their cows are reared and if they fit the bill, get that cheese. In the absence of folks bringing forward sources in your area, contact your local food administration and find out how and where cows are milked, where the milk goes and where cheese is made. Google is a perfectly "primal" hunter/gatherer tool

Really, any grain fed cows and any cheese that comes from their milk will be made in very much the same way - it's just milk set off with rennet and the whey pressed out of the mix. Find some, eat it ... enjoy it! Nothing wrong with "proper" cheese.

Good cheese will have a lot of fat in it, so treat it as such - a source of fat. It can happily form the main protein and fat content of a lunch, passed to the mouth on crisp lettuce or spliced in between meat slices for a sandwich.
    Last edited by pjgh; 07-19-2011 at 02:40 PM.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Anything from Australia and New Zealand. Its always reassuring me me to take a drive in the country and see the cows queueing at the farm dairy to be milked, surrounded by lush pasture
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    Find a farm that milks their own cows for cheese - ask how their cows are reared and if they fit the bill, get that cheese. In the absence of folks bringing forward sources in your area, contact your local food administration and find out how and where cows are milked, where the milk goes and where cheese is made. Google is a perfectly "primal" hunter/gatherer tool
    Is this what you do? Have you had luck with this? The only local cheeses I've found are chevre and mozzarella. They are nice but I would like to expand my options.

Quote Originally Posted by pjgh View Post
    Really, any grain fed cows and any cheese that comes from their milk will be made in very much the same way.
    Why grain-fed??
    My primal success story

"Boxing seems to contain so complete and so powerful an image of life -- life's beauty, vulnerability, despair, incalculable and often self-destructive courage -- that boxing IS life, and hardly a mere game." --Joyce Carol Oates

^ Sorry ... grass fed. My fingers get ahead of me sometimes.

I'm in the UK - there are literally hundreds of farms local to me, many producing cheese and a fantastic Wine & Cheese in a neighbouring village whcih carries local, regional, British, European and even some from further afield.

I tend to buy a cheddar, some "feta" (local, when I can find it: Fine Fettle Yorkshire - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ... I put "feta" in quotes since the EU in their infinite wisdom have protected the use of the word feta) and then there are our regional specialities like Wensleydale with a sharp sour tang, or creamy when made as a blue cheese. We also have a renown goat cheese producer nearby: St Helens Farm - Yorkshire Goats' Milk | Goats' Milk Probiotic Yogurt | Goats' Milk Cheese | Goats' Milk Butter | Goats' Milk Cream | Goat Dairy Products | Yorkshire Dairy Products. - this stuff is great, and not at all like "goat's cheese".

Check out any agricultural shows nearby - this is the best place to start; likewise, farm shops, farmers' markets and so on.

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    Check out Organic Valley Cheeses - I think this is what you are looking for. I think they are carried in most Whole Foods. In my experience, these cheeses are fine if nothing noteworthy.

A couple thoughts:
    Why are you looking for pasturized cheese? Raw is typically considered better for primal diets. The organic valley brand I've listed above will give you raw cheeses.
    Look for grass-fed & organic - the quality of the diet of the animal affects the quality of their meat and milk. Read Omnivores Dilemma by Michael Pollan if you don't understand this.
    Look for full fat cheeses - should be obvious why considering where this forum is.

Search MDA for Mark's posting on what to look for in cheese - title is along the lines of 'Is Cheese Primal?' or similar

Go to Whole Foods and Fresh Market and talk to those lovely people that work in the cheese departments. In my experience, they are really quite knowledgeable and can help you find what you are looking for. Please don't go in saying 'I want primal cheese'. Rather let them know you are interested in organic, grass-fed, full fat cheeses - cow, sheep or goat - what do they have? The cheese departments in both of these stores are usually pretty fantastic. Take advantage of it.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

Quote Originally Posted by girlarchitect View Post
    Search MDA for Mark's posting on what to look for in cheese - title is along the lines of 'Is Cheese Primal?' or similar
    Possibly this one: Is Cheese Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Where do you live? I have a source for raw pastured milk cheese in Atlanta and Alabama.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by girlarchitect View Post
    Why are you looking for pasturized cheese? Raw is typically considered better for primal diets. The organic valley brand I've listed above will give you raw cheeses.
    Pastured, not pasteurized.
    My primal success story

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast