Thread: Hi there from Phoenix, AZ page

boond2 is offline Junior Member

Hi there from Phoenix, AZ

Shop Now
    I am considering primal eating as I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's Thyroiditis 9 months ago and have gained 35 lbs in the last year. I bought the Paleo Diet by Cordain and I have been perusing this site for the past few days while reading the book by Cordain. I like the site better here for the Primal Blueprint (the other site sucks), but I can't figure out what the differences are between these two diets. Also, now I see that there is another book out by Wolff and I am wondering what the heck could be in that one. Any advice or suggestions would be most helpful.
    Thanks and Grok on!!!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Lots of us like to recommend Archevore - Getting Started. It is not exactly Primal but close, and a concise introduction.

Search MDA for "Hashimoto".
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Thanks so much for the resources. I am checking them out now! Appreciate you getting back to me.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Welcome! I am in Phoenix also and was diagnosed with Hashimoto's three years ago. Ridding my diet of gluten has helped me immensely.

JTWolflied is offline Member
    This is Mark's own description of the differences between the Primal Blueprint and the Paleo diet.

What’s the Difference Between Primal and Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple
    http://www.getmoneyout.com

Start: March 2011
    Start Weight: 245 lbs.
    Current Weight (November 2011): 208.4 lbs. and counting.
    Goal weight: 195 lbs.

Yvonne,
    How has this diet impacted you? Did you have uncontrollable weight gain with hashimoto's? Are you treating this like an autoimmune disease and eliminating alcohol (wine) like it says in the Paleo Diet? Are you partial to the Paleo Diet or the Primal Blueprint and why? Sorry for the inquisition, but I would love some direction from someone with an autoimmune disease.

Yvonne PHX Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by boond2 View Post
    Yvonne,
    How has this diet impacted you? Did you have uncontrollable weight gain with hashimoto's? Are you treating this like an autoimmune disease and eliminating alcohol (wine) like it says in the Paleo Diet? Are you partial to the Paleo Diet or the Primal Blueprint and why? Sorry for the inquisition, but I would love some direction from someone with an autoimmune disease.
    I haven't read the Paleo Diet, so I can't make a comparison. I haven't eliminated alcohol, but I have never been a heavy drinker. Weight gain wasn't an issue for me. I was more affected by exhaustion and hair loss. After years on Levothyroxine, I was still feeling exhausted and getting sick all the time. Some internet research led me to believe that eliminating gluten would help. I ran it by my doc who confirmed there was a connection and said "it couldn't hurt." The book "Living Gluten Free for Dummies" mentions Paleo, and I was intrigued. Another internet search brought me here.

I am still working on staying true to Primal. I have been about 2 months without gluten, and I am having mornings where I wake up refreshed. That hasn't happened in years! Also, I am shedding less hair and the skin on the back of my arms that used to be covered in red bumps has cleared (I also credit slathering myself in coconut oil).

Take Hedonist's advice and do a quick search for "Hashimoto's" and "Thyroid." You'll find some informative threads.
    Last edited by Yvonne PHX; 07-19-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JTWolflied View Post
    This is Mark's own description of the differences between the Primal Blueprint and the Paleo diet.

What’s the Difference Between Primal and Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple
    +1 But since Mark wrote that the general Paleo community seems to have moved closer to Primal.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.