Thread: Just Offal Chili? page

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member

Just Offal Chili?

Shop Now
    I've been eating Primal for the past month, and it wasn't long before I HAD to try offal. i figured I'd share my plan with you all, and ask for some feedback on my grand idea at the end.

My friend is a big foodie, and although he isn't Primal, he was converted to the joys of offal when he visited St. John in England, Anthony Bordain's favorite restaurant. He agreed to go to the specialty grocer with me on my birthday Sunday and pick up some bits of offal for my in-progress OFFAL WEIRD WEEK. Every day this week, I'm eating either something offal and/or something atypical to the Standard American Diet. I'm taking this time to try a bunch of stuff that I'm unfamiliar with, not just the offal...so almost everything you read will either be new or only my second time trying. (There is a question at the bottom, related to the thread title, I swear haha).

Sunday - Celebrated my birthday with beef liver (with onions, red bell peppers, and homegrown hot peppers) and pan seared mahi mahi with a garlic butter sauce. Washed it down with two Pilsner Urquell (it was my 21st) and later that night I sampled some Cabernet Sauvignon from Chile with French raw milk drunken goat cheese (soaked in wine) and 100% pure chocolate. (I had just read Mark's "How to eat more chocolate and wine" post haha).

Monday - Yesterday I had two duck eggs (which happened to be double yolk) with chicken gizzards and hearts for breakfast. Lunch was ground bison with spinach, and dinner was squid and octopus in a coconut milk/organic chicken broth bath.

Today - I had a duck egg, chicken heart, organic spinach, garlic frittata. Lunch is going to be bison and spinach again. Dinner is going to be pork kidney, broiled, with an avocado/olive oil/coconut milk paste. I've only had avocado once, and I've heard a lot of good things. Coconut milk is new to my life, as of 3 weeks ago, and I am IN LOVE with it.

Wednesday - Breakfast is cage free, omega 3 eggs. Blackberries, Greek Yogurt, and macadamia nuts for snacks. Amish chicken for lunch with organic broccoli, and dinner will be omega 3 eggs and scambled pig brains.

Thursday - I'm going to fast through breakfast. Lunch will be ground turkey, and dinner will be a hearty goat chili with avocado. (No offal, but goat is kinda weird, I guess.)

Friday - Going back to omega 3 eggs (any other suggestions for primal breakfast? I'm getting sick of eggs.) Turkey for lunch, a batch of almond/coconut/macadamia cookies for snack, and a nice grilled chicken salad with a small glass of wine for dinner.

Saturday - I'm going to try to find something new for breakfast (I have a 3 oz smoked eel still to try), but lunch is going to be roasted bone marrow. Dinner will be Amish chicken with organic broccoli.

Sunday - FINALLY! I'm working on getting a beef heart from a local butcher, but that may take a week or two. Instead, I'm going to make a leftover pot of chili. I've got 4-6 oz gizzards, 3 pork kidneys, and 8 oz pig brains left, and I'll probably have some chicken and turkey left after dinner. Why not throw it all in a crockpot with some broccoli, onions, tomatoes, homegrown hot peppers, organic chicken broth, and coconut milk on Saturday night and dig in on Sunday? I figure that's enough meat to feed me on Sunday and bring to work for lunch a few days next week.

Question: Is there any reason I can't throw a whole kidney into a crockpot? I know most recipes say to slice it and cut out the middle fat stuff. I tried to cut one open yesterday and couldn't find the "tube", but I figured the 24 hour crockpot bath would soften it up to the point that it would just melt away. Any thoughts?

Thanks for reading my novel haha.

breadsauce is online now Senior Member
    Bravo! I (UK based) eat a lot of kidney, and liver. Brain - used to, but couldn't face it now. Eels - lovely. But I worry about them being in steep decline.

Heart - lovely too. You are one brave person and your choices sound great!

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    I'm a Brit as well ... northern ... and we DO like our offals! Bravo, indeed! I salute you.

No, there's no reason at all why you should not chuck a liver into a crock pot and slow cook it. It will go really soft and break up around the outside and some of the protein will leech out into the sauce and really thicken it up. It will go dark, though. Bright coloured vegetables cooked in will go well, so carrots ... and squash will hold its colour. Add in other veg like aubergine or courgette closer to the end to retain their colours. As with any meat, if there's something in there you don't like when you come to eat it ... discard it. Slow cooking breaks down just about everything making it consumable. Go nuts and see how it goes.

Have you tried tongue, yet? Cow tongue, slow cooked, cooled and sliced with a salmon/ham slicer is fantastic! I grew up on tongue sandwiches but you can use the tongue AS the sandwich and pop in whatever you like as the filling. Eaten hot, great. I like it cubed to chew on.

Also, you can "curry" kidneys - butter or ghee, cumin, coriander and turmeric in a frying pan and throw in the kidneys. Lower the heat, toss and saute them until ready. Damn nice! If you like goat - try ostrich! Marinated in a hot curry mixture and tandoored - amazing! Tandooris are underground HOT ovens - you can simulate this with a hot BBQ with a lid or chimenea at a push.

Finally, if you like heart - smoke one! Here's smoked reindeer heart:

CoS
    I haven't tried tongue yet. I plan on getting it soon. I was thinking about slicing it up and throwing it on the grill, like a steak. Thoughts?

And the heart is going to be interesting. I definitely want to make jerky with some of it, but I'm not sure how to cook the rest.

Thanks for all the ideas, guys!

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    I bet your butcher will practically give the tongue away

Tongue MUST be slow cooked first to break it down. It will be a slice of rubber, even thin sliced and BBQd otherwise. Slow cook it, cool it and then slice and re-heat as you fancy. The liquid from the slow cooking will make a fantastic gravy, thickened by reducing and whisking in butter.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Don't think there is enough fat in kidney for it to cook well in the slow cooker. I make steak and kidney sauces (as in steak and kidney pie), substituting heart for the steak. Also kidney curry is good. Any offal makes good curry. Lamb brain masala is my favourite
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

CoS
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Don't think there is enough fat in kidney for it to cook well in the slow cooker. I make steak and kidney sauces (as in steak and kidney pie), substituting heart for the steak. Also kidney curry is good. Any offal makes good curry. Lamb brain masala is my favourite
    If I add the kidneys a little closer to meal time, would that work? On the other hand, would it hurt anything to just let it sit? What do you mean "cook well"? I've cooked chicken in a crock pot, and there was almost no fat at all on it.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoS View Post
    If I add the kidneys a little closer to meal time, would that work? On the other hand, would it hurt anything to just let it sit? What do you mean "cook well"? I've cooked chicken in a crock pot, and there was almost no fat at all on it.
    It'll cook, but will be dry and unappetising
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine