Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: tracking my summer eating habits-very LOW calories!! page

Juliemama is offline Senior Member

Exclamation tracking my summer eating habits-very LOW calories!!

So, I have been tracking my "summer shift" and lo and behold, I am only consuming 800-1200 cals a day! I do not track all year, normally, but we have had some discussions of seasonal shifts and eating habits, so I thought I would post my results. I do not "count" calories, I do not "Need" to lose weight per se, although I usually drop 5 lbs every summer and lean out a bit. Evidently, this is why. I always eat as much as I want. Usually in the range of 2000 cals.

I ditched my protein shake in the morning as I believe it caused an eczema flare up (whey). I have replaced that with a hard boiled egg or two, and that is a stretch. I do not usually eat breakfast at all. I might have some spinach salad with chicken and lots of olive oil dressing, and a bit of cheese for lunch. Fruit and berries for snacks. Dinner is usually seafood, beef, pork or fowl and veggies. I am very generous with butter and other fats. I just do not have an appetite for the quantity of food I usually consume.

My RATIOS are the same 60% fat 30% protein 10% carbs. will vary somewhat, naturally.

I still consume a glass or two of red wine or a cold beer daily (or hey, both sometimes and will occasionally nosh some potato chips. (I have tracked those cals too!)

I am going to go with the flow, and continue to eat as much or as little as I feel like. Any thoughts?

indigogirl is offline Senior Member
    If you feel well, and it seems you do, if it aint broke don't fix it! (IMHO)
    Indigogirl

belinda is offline Senior Member
    I tend to eat lighter in the summer as well - probably just because it's too hot to do much cooking. I eat a lot more salad greens and less carbs from things like potatoes/sweet potatoes/rice although I probably make up for those carbs with my fruit and ice cream consumption
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

I eat as much as I want, and usually I might have a few lower calorie days, followed by a few pig out days, I am ok with that. I just haven't had any pig out days for a while! I think it is just too damned hot/humid. I do eat way more fruit (berries/melon) in the summer.
    Of course, I always put those 5 lbs back on in the fall, when I start to eat heavier meals, more starch, etc. It was just interesting to see broken down like that...I do not think I am going to "break" my metabolism or anything, although it would be interesting if someone here thought I would, and any science behind that claim.
    My husband has just recently "ditched" the carbs- and he's a big 300+ lb guy, so I have tons of food cooked and ready to go, so he can stay full. I'm just not interested in the food at all. Oh well!
    Thanks for the feedback, guys, as usual!

Don't know if you thought I meant your metabolism was "broken down"?
    I didn't!
    I meant, if it's working, and it seems it is for you, don't (fix) change what you're doing!
    I was supporting your summer lower calorie eating!
    Last edited by indigogirl; 07-19-2011 at 11:34 AM. Reason: spelling
    Indigogirl

LOL, no, indigogirl, I didn't think you meant that! I was just ruminating on the fact that someone is bound to tell me I am about to go into "starvation mode" and ruin my metabolism. Can you do that in 2 short months, then go back to eating normally again? I have no idea!

I have no idea either if you'll go into "starvation mode". I hope not!

Unfortunately you're right about someone chiming in and possibly putting a negative spin on it.

I do think the majority of people posting here are knowledgeable and helpful. That being said...

This is the most contentious forum I have ever been on! Posting solid information is one thing. Being condescending and belitting to a poster because of their point of view is something else entirely. Sorry for the rant about that...it just really gets old.
    Last edited by indigogirl; 07-19-2011 at 11:43 AM.
    Indigogirl

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by indigogirl View Post
    I have no idea either if you'll go into "starvation mode". I hope not!
    Unfortunately you're right about someone chiming in and possibly putting a negative spin on it.
    The whole "metabolism wrecking" thing is pretty much debunked CW. It is perfectly natural to have low and high cycles of consumption. They are called seasons. And I think that listening to your body if it tells you not to eat so much right now is a good thing. I love summer.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    The whole "metabolism wrecking" thing is pretty much debunked CW. ..
    Why do you say that?

Here's something about that I put together in March- Why Does a Starvation Diet Slow Metabolism?

The rest of your comment, I totally agree with. People are too stuck on calorie requirements. THAT is CW.

I counted mine a few days ago and got about 1,250, and that was a lot for me. I have a past history of being a metabolic wreck and I can't eat near what other people claim to be eating.

Of course at some point there is a limit...If someone were doing 500 cal a day, then I would agree that seems too low, for anyone. I'm sure there are people doing closer to 1,000 and maybe for them, it's OK.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Glad to see everyone here is playing nicely I have actually had a few 600 ish cal days here and there..although that is not the norm. Like I said, I eat like a pig the rest of the year. My concern is getting enough nutrients at this low level...like today, I managed a hard boiled egg for breakfast..and a mini salad for lunch. I threw 3-4 oz of chicken, spinach, blueberries, strawberries, almonds and a few glugs of my own dressing. It came out to a small bowl. 350 cals. I am trying to cram as much nutrition into small servings as I can...I am planning brussel sprouts and steak for dinner, and some watermelon, but honestly I can not fathom eating dinner right now!
    It is hot as balls and super sticky (I do not have a/c..fans only), and I am certainly not going to "work out" other than the necessary housework and gardening that needs to be done..I vacuumed out the van today outside, I am a sucker for punishment, I suppose. But maybe because I am not burning it off I don't need it? I do eat a bit more on work days (physical)..Hmmm..
    I feel fine, not sluggish or anything anymore than can be attributed to the weather.
    Thanks, guys!
    I LOVE summer, too! I wait all year for hot and sticky! LOL
    Last edited by Juliemama; 07-19-2011 at 01:06 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast