Thread: Hormones and Eating page

Primetimegirl is offline Member

Hormones and Eating

Shop Now
    So, I am a bit confused. I just recently read the post about IFing. I am interested in that. However, can someone please explain to me how this does not negatively affect hormones and send my body into fat storage mode instead of fat burning mode? I have read that if you have a feeling of starving, you have already messed with those hormones. Is this not true? I just want to make sense of all this.

Rene is offline Junior Member
    I'm new here but this was a question I was wondering about as well, so posting to hopefully get some experienced opinions!

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    If you feel starving, than you're not ready to IF. It is something that should come naturally. If you're not hungry, don't eat. If you are hungry, eat. Sometimes that will create an IF, sometimes it won't.
    $5 off iherb.com: QOC241

"Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good." - Voltaire

For nutrition/wellness tips:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/One...34671179916624

www.onelifeonebodynutritionaltherapy.com

otzi Guest
    I think that IF'ing by skipping breakfast can reset the normal rythms of hormones. Instead of peaking in the morning, they peak around noon. I have found I am not hungry at all before lunch if I skip breakfast. It happened almost the first day I started. Give it a try, if you find you are really hungry in the morning after not eating your normal breakfast, then go ahead and eat something. But, if you aren't hungry at all, then maybe IF'ing this way is for you. A couple times on weekends, I had a normal AM breakfast, and I was starving an hour later--wanted to snack on everything in the house.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    This the just the kind of confusion the reckless IF propaganda has caused.

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    This the just the kind of confusion the reckless IF propaganda has caused.
    On this issue DFH, I am right there with you. I think that bodybuilders like Martin over at leangains have popularized this because who doesn't want to have abs that look like his? For people in that level of leanness and with all of their hormonal issues already sorted out, yes IF can be an effective tool. For others, it can be the worst thing you could possibly do.

I'm not saying it is or is not for the OP. Just that it is not for everybody and should be approached thoughtfully.

DFH
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    On this issue DFH, I am right there with you. I think that bodybuilders like Martin over at leangains have popularized this because who doesn't want to have abs that look like his? For people in that level of leanness and with all of their hormonal issues already sorted out, yes IF can be an effective tool. For others, it can be the worst thing you could possibly do.

I'm not saying it is or is not for the OP. Just that it is not for everybody and should be approached thoughtfully.
    Yep.

It seems that we see these "how do I IF" threads almost every single day. When I first started to notice these, I watched to see if anyone ever asked "how much weight do you need to lose, what is your status?" No one ever did, because they didn't know to ask. The assumption has been that everyone should just go for it. if it worked for Martin, it must be OK for everyone, right? Just look at those pics...haha

Bissen is offline Senior Member
    I'll just make the note that ghrelin (the hormone that tells you "hey dude, you should eat!") is released by "habit". If you're used to eating at a specific time, you'll often find yourself hungry.

I'm still trying to figure out if IF is for me. As a child I HATED breakfast; I had no appetite and usually didn't eat until 1-3pm and was fine on energy and hunger. I eventually broke that habit of skipping breakfast because "breakfast is the most important meal of the day - you should have it too!" (bwah!), and maybe it's just become more of a habit than a need. I'm not sure yet...

DFH
    Quote Originally Posted by Bissen View Post
    I'll just make the note that ghrelin (the hormone that tells you "hey dude, you should eat!") is released by "habit". If you're used to eating at a specific time, you'll often find yourself hungry.

I'm still trying to figure out if IF is for me. As a child I HATED breakfast; I had no appetite and usually didn't eat until 1-3pm and was fine on energy and hunger. I eventually broke that habit of skipping breakfast because "breakfast is the most important meal of the day - you should have it too!" (bwah!), and maybe it's just become more of a habit than a need. I'm not sure yet...
    Maybe the leptin topic would provide some clarity. The leptin reset is for people with some weight to lose. It starts out with 50g protein breakfast. If you have no weight to lose, consider yourself lucky and skip any meal you feel like skipping.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    IF is a useful tool for the last 5-10 pounds, after everything else has been dialed in- diet, sleep, stress, exercise. Don't bother until you get to that point.