Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Protein! page

Bacon Guest

Primal Fuel

So, I've just started using FitDay to track my carb/protein/fat intake. I didn't want to do it before because one of the best things about PB is that I don't have to count calories and I didn't want to replace it with counting something else, but I was curious where I stood as far as what I've been eating.

Anyway, it turns out that I'm averaging like 75 grams of protein a day which seems like just not enough!

My day looks like this, basically:

Breakfast: eggs

Lunch: Roast chicken with a vegetable or two

Snack: almonds or fruit

Dinner: Some kind of meat with a veg side

So I'm wondering, any suggestions about what I can eat to ramp it up? I'm not picky.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

add in some meat for breakfast... eggs are good but not exactly protein-dense compared to something like sausage.

if you want to make your own, I have 2 recipes you might like:

sweet-ish: http://www.joyfulabode.com/2009/07/07/homemade-pork-breakfast-sausage/

spicy: http://www.joyfulabode.com/2009/09/2...spicy-version/

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

also for your snack you could have something like cheese (if you do dairy) or another piece of meat or something...

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

chocolatechip69 is offline Junior Member

You don't really need to ramp it up. You're good the way it is right now.

Has anyone had a chance to read "Primal Body, Primal Mind" by Nora Teresa Gedgaudas. She has covered a very interesting piece of research in her book about the importance of protein. She claims that according to different research evidence, an average individual only needs 35-42 g of protein a day to maintain a healthy life style. Very active individuals should be consuming somewhere around 65-75 grams.

This piece of research is also linked to longevity studies.

maba is offline Senior Member

Bacon (I love your handle), read the following thread. From all that I've read, one doesn't need all that much protein unless you're working out intense.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...Fat-vs-Protein

chima_p is offline Senior Member

Average individuals are usually on a SAD diet.

Average individuals rarely leave the couch.

Average individuals rarely engage in any meaningful exercise.

Although 75g of protein might be enough for you.

We will need more info.

LBM, age, sex, weight loss/gain goals, types of exercise.

The answer for you right now is It Depends.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

More eggs, bigger meat portions.

Cheese and whole milk... *ducks behind wall*

dfast is offline Member

I'm interested in hearing people's opinions on this; coming to PB with a 'typical' gym-rat mindset, and after previously consuming hundreds of ús worth of protein shakes, my intake is considerably lower now than it used to be. I probably average 100g a day, sometimes only 60-70g. My calorie intake sits somewhere around 1300-1700 calories (I'm only 5'4). I find that if I eat more than this I do tend to put on weight, although I worry that it's not enough sometimes...

(Sorry to hijack thread!)

JamieBelle is offline Member

dfast, I'm a gym rat like you. I am five feet zero inches, weigh around 102, have 17% body fat, and my goal is to get one gram of protein per pound of body weight each day. I try not to let myself go over 110 grams of protein and it's usually right at 100 on the days I track (which is about 50% of the time).

But, I work out hard every day of the week most weeks, and rest 2, sometimes 3, days each week. I am trying to replace my last two pounds of adipose tissue with lean, hard, muscle.

chima_p is offline Senior Member

@JamieBelle

At 1g how are your energy levels? Are you getting stonger? Have there been days where you missed that level of protein? Could you feel the difference?

Are you ever hungry?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast