Thread: Greetings from Ohio! page

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member

Greetings from Ohio!

Shop Now
    Hey guys! I've been lurking for the past few weeks, and finally decided to post. I've been following the Primal Blueprint for 3-4 weeks now, and I love it. A little background about myself: June 2010 I was 19 years old, 310 lbs, miserable, more sedentary than you can imagine, and willing to eat anything that wandered into my line of sight. On June 12, I started the Beachbody program Insanity and started to reign in my calories. I cut out all soda, candy, fast food, etc. I was at college for most of the past year, so my diet consisted of salads, salmon burgers from the dining hall, canned beans, and oatmeal.

Eating a relatively better diet and doing Insanity and P90X got me to May 2011. I was 220 lbs and dying to lose that last 10 lbs for a round 100 lost. I had been at a plateau since January/February. I had been using MyFitnessPal to keep track of my calories and macros, but I never really had a goal for the right proportion of macros. I was keeping fat at 10-20%, protein was WAY too high at around 230g, and carbs were through the roof (usually around 200 g). In addition to that problem, I was eating at 2600 calories for some reason and expecting to lose weight. A friend suggested dropping my calories to 2100 and cutting those carbs down big time. Voila, I was 211 lbs by June 2011: a whopping 99 lbs lost in one year!

Home for the summer, I really wanted to make good use of my oven. I had read a bit about the Primal Blueprint from the folks over at Team Beachbody, and considering the fact that I love meat, I decided to give it a try. I'm in love with it so far. I haven't implemented the lifestyle completely, but I'd say I've been 95-98% loyal to the diet. No bread/oatmeal/grains, lots of veggies, moderate fruits, all different kinds of meat (including offal!), and a new found appreciation for oils and creams. I have been mixing up my workouts (never have done chronic cardio, thankfully), experimenting with sprinting, intermittent fasting, keto diets, and just generally enjoying the freedom to control my body.

From 211 on June 12, I am now at 202 lbs. This is despite the fact that I got my first desk job the same week I started Primal, and I end up having to sit 6-7 hours a day (plus driving). In conclusion, I just wanted to say hello and introduce myself. I'm going back to college in September, so I'm going to need some advice on primal living in a dorm. Other than that, thanks for reading and thanks for providing this great resource!

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Hi! Are there grocery stores near your dorm? Is there a kitchen in the building/your suite? and will you have access to a fridge? If no fridge, I would recommend renting/buying a mini fridge. They're not incredibly expensive and well worth it if you want to try to eat healthy while at school. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of the cafeteria's offerings. I lived off of caf food for 2/4 years and there was always grilled chicken and they had a vegetarian section that offered a decent range of veggies. If your caf has anything like that, you can probably pull it off, but you won't be eating quite as cleanly (not knowing what oils they use, for example).

Also, congrats! It sounds like you're doing really well so far. Good to know that it can work even with a desk job, I just started a primal trial (really just trying to get the meat/fat to veggie ratio right at this point) and I work an office job 40hrs a week.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome! Sounds like you are on track. Go for it!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

CoS
    CoS is offline Senior Member
    I just found some old MyFitnessPal food journals from February, when I was 230 and in a plateau. Protein was 220g, carbs were 215, and fat was 50. Only 200 calories more than what I eat now (still well below maintenance with my workout schedule) and I couldn't lose any weight. Drop 200 calories, Move to 160g protein, 25-75 carbs, and 130-150g fat, and I magically start dropping fat.

That's proof enough for me that this program is legit.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Great job CoS!
    Georgette