Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trying PB for 3 weeks now and feeling queasy and having lack of appetite page

EJLin Guest

Primal Fuel

I just got my book in the mail yesterday but I went ahead and started 3 weeks ago based on what I could gather from this site and others who are following it as well.

The last few days, my stomach has been feeling queasy/uneasy. I have skipped a few meals because I am not hungry AT ALL and my stomach just doesn't feel like it would welcome any kind of food.

My diet today was:

8am:

2 eggs over medium

3 sausage links

water

skipped lunch- was not hungry (not IF)

2pm:

piece of mozzarella cheese

5 dark chocolate covered macadamia nuts

6pm:

grilled chicken salad with buffalo sauce

a few fries from hubby's plate.

Yesterday's diet:

8am:

3 slices bacon

1.5 eggs

sauteed veggies

skipped lunch

2pm: blueberries and 6 pecans

6pm:

Fiesta Salad with chicken & guacamole

Dark chocolate pieces

I'm definitely not bloated and gassy anymore since I gave up grains etc but I definitely "notice" what my stomach is up to now. Aside from bloating in the past, I never had consistent queasiness like this. Any thoughts? No, I'm not pregnant either. I don't feel I'll be able to get in enough calories with this queasiness. Is it normal for my appetite to diminish like this? Is it my body resetting itself? I have lost 8lbs in the last 3 weeks and I needed to so this is a welcome change but I'm worried that I'm harming my body in a different way now! I didn't track calories so I could be way off....I may be so used to overeating and having no self-control whatsoever with food that this may be a healthy change!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

A diminished appetite is pretty normal. I never experienced queasiness though.

To give you an example, today I decided to eat breakfast (lately I've only been eating dinner.) I had 3 eggs scrambled with some turkey around 7:30. I didn't get a feeling of hunger until about 4:30. That's pretty typical for me. With a good egg meal I can usually go 8-10 hours without thinking about food.

If you're actually feeling nauseated, try some peppermint or ginger to calm your tummy. If it's not really bad though, I'd wait it out. Your body may just be adjusting- or you're becoming more aware.

EJLin Guest

OKay I feel like an idiot. I just joined FitDay to see what my caloric intake was for the day and it was 1655 cal. I thought I wasn't eating enough.....I guess I'm just so used to overeating that I didn't even know what it felt like to have self-control and eat a normal amount of calories for my height/weight/age/gender!!!

Still I wonder about the queasiness...any ideas?

hakman73 Guest

It's quite normal to have a period of dizziness and discomfort after switching from high-carb diet to lower carb.

I remember my "detox" period well enough.. felt like a wet rag for a week and rising my toothbrush in the morning could be counted as "Lifting Heavy Weights"

Other symptoms included shortness of breath, lightheadedness and piercing headaches during intense effort..

It will pass in a week or two - just hang on!

Edit:

recently on the same topic:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...d-I-feel-weird...

EJLin Guest

The queasiness is more discomfort in my stomach than a dizziness. I have had headaches though and come to think of it, I have been a bit tired recently.

Clark G. Guest

Do I remember someone talking about "low-carb flu" - sounds like the detox hakman73 mentioned.

Can I ask a different question? Have you cut out "toxins" like caffeinated soda along with sugar? If you're giving up caffeine and sugar at the same time, that's bound to mess you up. I always get headaches when I transition off caffeine - which I did in mid-August.

EJLin Guest

I could never tolerate caffeine in coffee or soda eta so that was never an issue for me to give up. But I did give up sugar that's for sure!

groquette is offline Senior Member

I think detox symptoms can take various forms. I haven't felt dizzy or nauseous, but it looks like I'll have chronic heat hives until I have lost the excess fat. As an experiment I ate enough sugar to stop the weight loss (mostly fruit, but also sucrose) over a semi-prolonged period of time (4 weeks) and as soon as I stopped losing weight, the hives disappeared. I went back to totally clean Primal eating, and within 4 days the heat hives were back (and I was visibly losing weight again).

Sue
    Sue is offline Senior Member

Are you eating a lot more fat on the PB? Perhaps this could be reason for queeziness?

DepRatlAnimal Guest

PrimalCon New York

I was queasy the first few weeks - in week 3 now, and it's getting better, though I'm definitely noticing different hunger patterns to respond to, appetite reduction, etc. I thought the queasiness was probably adjusting to all the fat (I average 60% of my calories from fat with PB), OR possibly some candida detoxing with the reduction in sugar/carbs. Hope you feel better soon!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast