Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I need more carbs page

d2mini is offline Senior Member

I need more carbs

Shop Now
    I've been at it for 7 months and realizing that my carbs still tend to be 50 grams or less without even thinking about it. What would be some good carbs to add besides veggies which I already eat?
    I'm doing one high carb day per week now that I've plateaued at that last 5-10lb mark, but I think I need to double my carbs the rest of the days.
    -dennis

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Do you eat fruit?

Personally, I would add potatoes.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

d2mini is offline Senior Member
    Ya, but i've pretty much stuck to berries... or the occasional plantain.
    I'm normally not a fan of potatoes unless they are of the fried variety. And then I assume they are fried in vegetable oil.
    I do like potato salad though. Potatos and mayo... I guess that would work.
    -dennis

tag
    tag is offline Junior Member
    asdf a fasdf asdfasdf

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Fruits, Plantains, Green Bananas, Sweet Potatoes (the typical orange variety, and the white varieties), yams, name (taro, white/yellow varieties), yautia, yucca (cassava), winter squashes, and white rice are all "safe starches". I have at least one variety per day.

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    Once I stopped being afraid of carbs my sleep got 100x better and my overall health as well. I'm having over 300g today as a workout day, and on non workout days I'm on the 150-200 g scale... and barely gaining weight.

I'm off this bandwagon you could say.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    Fruits, Plantains, Green Bananas, Sweet Potatoes (the typical orange variety, and the white varieties), yams, name (taro, white/yellow varieties), yautia, yucca (cassava), winter squashes, and white rice are all "safe starches". I have at least one variety per day.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    Once I stopped being afraid of carbs my sleep got 100x better and my overall health as well. I'm having over 300g today as a workout day, and on non workout days I'm on the 150-200 g scale... and barely gaining weight.

I'm off this bandwagon you could say.
    But you are gaining weight?... Obviously if your intention is to gain weight, then this is good right? i'm not sure why you're saying you're off of "this bandwagon" though.... PB isn't supposed to be a low carb fits all way of eating as far as i'm aware.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    White rice or any variety of potato in moderation. But the last 10 lb doesn't come off by increasing carbs, normally - it'll come off by careful calorie restriction and discipline.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

MollyMoo is offline Senior Member
    Why do you think you need to double your carbs? If you're eating around 50 without thinking about it, I would stay there, it seems a natural place for you to be

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by MollyMoo View Post
    Why do you think you need to double your carbs? If you're eating around 50 without thinking about it, I would stay there, it seems a natural place for you to be
    the "problem" (it's not really a problem) is that constantly keeping carbs that low (and it's probably lower, it seems the OP eats mostly non-starchy veg and little in the way of fruit) lowers insulin, which we want, but it also lowers leptin which is the hormone that works as an antagonist to insulin. Elevated insulin tells the body to store fat, hence keeping carbs low. Elevated leptin tells the body to release fat, but these hormones rise and fall together (correct if wrong, please) so in order to elevate (or "boost") leptin one must first boost insulin and we do this by taking in a lot of carbs.

It's best when done strategically, so a perfect time to take in a lot of carbs via starches and some fruit is following a good workout. I asked in a different thread how one can tell if they've had a "glycogen depleting" workout since that's the kind you want to use for carb-ups and was told that workouts in higher rep ranges are more glycogen depleting. Also sprinting is a good glycogen depleting workout. The theory is that post-workout carbs are going to achieve the desired goal of boosting both hormones but the carbs won't go into fat storage but rather to replenish the glycogen lost during the workout. You then "get away" with eating carbs so to speak.

I have not gained any undesired weight doing this, I'm not carbing up too aggressively though (it's pretty damn tough to eat upwards of 300g carbs for me, unless it's white rice but I'm trying to mix it up with other sources) but I'm only seeing good things come out of it.

This is best for people that have less weight to lose, fyi.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast