Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Navigating the Tricky Waters of the Dinner Party page

Unshod Sarah is offline Senior Member

Navigating the Tricky Waters of the Dinner Party

My brother and I were having this discussion today: When visiting family (or friends) how do you navagiate the tricky waters of the dinner party? He thinks that it's better to blow your diet than deny the hospitality of your hosts. That's the very reason I stopped being a vegetarian all those years ago.

Thing is, I always get so worn out when I travel and now that I've stopped eating gluten all together and severely restrict my grains, I find that when I do eat grains I feel horrible. (I ate some risotto the other night and felt like I got hit by a truck the next day, for example.) I don't like the idea of going on a trip, which is already stressful, and then getting sick because of what I eat. On the other hand, I don't want to be that annoying family member who won't eat this thing or that.

*sigh*

How do you navigate the dinner party? Or your sweet old Granny offering you a plate of homemade blueberry muffins?
    Last edited by Unshod Sarah; 07-18-2011 at 07:28 PM.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Parties and restaurants? No problem!

My mom's house? Yeah, that can be a problem. She's very much into whole grains and low-fat everything. And she's happiest when she makes you a sandwich for lunch with brownies for dessert.

Last time I solved it by spending a lot of time with her, but staying at a hotel. We used the excuse that The Boyfriend and I didn't want to be living in sin at her house. Just being respectful, you know.

I've already got problems with sulfites (anything cooked or marinated in wine), sodium nitrite (pretty much processed/preserved meat) and she's seen me do Atkins years ago, so she is used to me saying "Eat whatever you want and I'll find something for myself".

If you are open about it, and also open to finding your own food to eat without expecting anyone to go out of their way for you, it usually works out just fine. If people ask, you can explain that you realized gluten was causing you problems. They might ask more questions, or they might not. Go with whatever curiosity level they have, but make sure you act matter of fact.

With my mom, it's a lot easier now than it used to be. I just tell her I'm trying to avoid the huge number of gastric issue that she and my brother have had over the years.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    If you have a food intolerance or react badly to grains (which it seems like you do), I think it's totally valid to say so.

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    It's hard, b/c if you say you do poorly with grains, they find you some gluten-free brownies, and then you either feel bad b/c you have to explain why you can't eat them, or you feel bad b/c you ate them.

If there's any way for me to bring something to complement the meal, I'll do it, and try to make sure I can find enough meat and veggies, going easy on anything else. If not, I'll eat sufficient protein before I go (or maybe even a full meal), push things around and eat some bites while there, and just enjoy focusing on the social occasion. If it's someone who I think is open to hearing what I'm doing, I might explain it if asked; otherwise I'll just try to make what I'm doing completely non-obvious so I won't have to get into the details with anyone.

Hardest is staying a while with others. It's just hard for folks to wrap their brains around "no grains, no sugar," so I just say I'm doing low-carb and avoiding processed foods (so I don't get offered "low-carb" pasta! although that's no guarantee, sadly).
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    stand up for yourself no matter where you are. your health is more important then their feelings
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

MamaGrok is offline Senior Member
    Caring for your body and caring for your friends/family = not mutually exclusive.
    5'4" 36yo mother to five sweeties & married to their AMAZING DaddyGrok
    Starting: 185 lbs (March '10)
    Current: 132.5 lbs
    Goal: 135 lbs (Hit Jan '13)
    Beating bingeing since 10/31/11 on my Leptin Reset journey

Roary is offline Senior Member
    I always eat a full meal before I go . . . makes the gluten-free brownies less tempting! Although, maybe I'm lucky, but it's rare for someone to care or even notice what I'm eating. I always wonder why anybody would pay any attention at all to what anybody else is eating or not eating. . . . but I'm always ready and willing to politely decline. I don't feel compelled to offer any explanation other than "no, thank you very much."

camel is offline Senior Member
    I eat enough of everything to be polite and not "weird". I have larger helpings of the meat and veggies, with small portions of starch, grains. If it feels acceptable to refuse dessert, and I feel like refusing, I do. Otherwise I enjoy with thanks and savour every bite. Meals as a guest make up mostly my 20% off plan foods.

Doesn't seem to harm me too much, except for an upset tummy once in a while, but nothing serious.

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    It sure sounds like it's beyond being a picky (or in your words, "annoying") family member: when you eat certain foods you have health problems. Traveling is already stressful enough to you; why voluntarily add to that by eating things that will make you sick? I would think that your family would understand and support your choice to eat in a way that's healthy for you.

Yeah, you might need to tell sweet ol' granny that her blueberry muffins that used to be your favorite are no longer on your menu, but again, even if she doesn't understand the science behind it, she probably cares enough about your health to accept your choice. And if she doesn't, I wouldn't make a huge issue out of the situation—move the conversation along in a different direction.
    “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

davem is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Unshod Sarah View Post
    My brother and I were having this discussion today: When visiting family (or friends) how do you navagiate the tricky waters of the dinner party? He thinks that it's better to blow your diet than deny the hospitality of your hosts. That's the very reason I stopped being a vegetarian all those years ago.
    I stick to my guns, and it may feel pretty selfish, but at the end of the day I frame it like this: Do my family and friends want me there, feeling good and ready for whatever, or have me there bitching and moaning because I'm sick and sore?

Just hosted my own dinner last night, and it was much easier than I expected, as I invited two other primal eaters. I figure hosting anything pot luck style will be more difficult than going to friends or family.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast