Thread: Tabata sprints on a NordicTrack ski machine page

Steve_G is offline Junior Member

Tabata sprints on a NordicTrack ski machine

Primal Fuel
    I found a good use for my old NordicTrack ski machine, Tabata sprints! It's so hot and ugly in the summer here in AZ, I find it hare to venture outside. I'm on 4 out of 9 on the resistance scale. I don't feel like collapsing when I finish, maybe I should go up on the resistance.

Darwin17 is offline Senior Member
    that sounds like one hell of a puke time!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i don't want to kick off another discussion on what is and what isn't tabata, but i can't imagine getting to that level intensity on a norditrack...though i haven't been on one of those in a while. you should feel like puking when you're done. when i'm done with a tabata workout i lie on the floor and thank it for being there. you could definitely try to up the resistance to up the intensity, but i think a norditrack might work better for straight intervals rather than tabata...just my opinion.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    I guess the most important thing is to choose an exercise that allows you to quickly change the intensity ... treadmills are bad in that regard, by the time you change the intensity the interval is over. Ellipticals and other similar training "rides" are fine, but most of them don't have Tabata programs - I find it tedious to manually change the resistance 16 times in 4 minutes.

Yesterday I did Tabata intervals with overhead squats ... nice! And as far as equipment is concerned, all you need is a stick.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I think that a NordicTrack is a fine piece of equipment. Especially because it is very easy on badly damaged knees. Also perfect for those days when outside temperatures are over 100 degrees or way down on the low end too.

I have bad knees and live in Oklahoma where there are tremendous temperature extremes. I am happy with my NordicTrack.

Like Rick Hunter used to say, "It works for me."
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

Steve_G is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the replies,
    I'm just starting out (again) with the NordicTrack, It's been setting idle for years serving as a hat rack. I know I'm not quite up to what you would call real tabata sprints, but I getting there.

periquin is offline Senior Member
    I think that a Tabata sprint is doing the very max that you can for 20 seconds and then sort of go easy for 10 seconds and REPEAT, etc.

So what if the very max you can do isn't a record breaking event? Isn't it still a real Tabata sprint if it was your best?
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

twa2w is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have no trouble doing tabatas on a treadmill. At the end of the 20 second grb the hand rails and jump your feet to each side. When your rest is up, jump back on. If youdo this make sure you have good balance and can handle it. Try it a little slower the first few times. If the later intrvals start getting too tough you can easily drop back the speed by .5 mph during your 10 second break.

make sure your deadkill cord is attached to you.

Cheers
    J