Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ketosis vs (with?) IF'ing for weightloss page

Mr.M is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

I've been doing a CKD (Keto diet with 1 day of carb-up) for roughly 1.5 months now, averaging about 2.5lb/week weight loss (so, lost about 15lbs). Partly out of fear my weight loss has slowed, and partly out of interest for trying something new, I've considered partaking in intermittent fasting (IF).

Been researching as much as I can about IF - but some things I'm not so sure about, hopefully the brilliant people here at the forums can help me !

1) When doing IF (lets say a 16 hour fast) - do people try to eat the same calorie amounts per usual?

Example: If I normally eat 2400 cals on a nonfast day, do I eat the same 2400 on a fast day (more food quantity in less meal settings)?

2) Are there any additional benefits that IF'ing gives over being in ketosis?

To clarify, I know that both IF and Keto seek to keep insulin levels ultra-low; and thus forcing the body to utilize fat (dietary or tissue) for energy. Just wondering if there's a diff/benefit beyond that.

3) Fasted workouts (lifting, HIIT, walking) - What's your experience with them?

Thanks guys!

hm - don't think i meant for this to be in the success stories forum - lol!

Lovestoclimb is offline Senior Member

Thanks for posting your success story :P

I'll take a stab here...

1) Don't try and fill up with your daily caloric amount in one meal. The whole point of fasting is to create a calorie deficit IMO.

2) IFing gives your body/organs a break and it gives your body a chance to repair itself. You'll eventually hit Ketosis from IFing anyways.

3) Love working out in the fasted state. In fact its the only way I do my workouts. I find that eating before hand puts my body's energy towards something else other than what I'm intending to do. Working out in a fasted state will act as an appetite supressant and really helps out on the days where you fast.

I grok, therefore I am.

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

http://www.fitnessspotlight.com/2008/09/02/part-6-what-happens-to-your-body-when-you-fast-qa/

Lengthly but informative; I read this when I first started fasting. Also, talks about excercise during fasting.

I definitely agree with LTC about fasted-state workouts-they are the best!

And if you haven't already, read Eat Stop Eat by Brad Pilon...he's by far the best when it comes to 'occasional breaks from eating' and information regarding it.

Here's a quick blurb regarding exercise and fasting and how they are pretty much produce the same body response.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da2pc3vMkSc

I grok, therefore I am.

JamieBelle is offline Member

I've done about 4 24-hour fasts where I eat nothing but drink water or green tea. My goal is not to lose weight, and I haven't lost weight. I've just done the fasting because first I wanted to see if I could actually do it, then I had days when I just wasn't all that hungry, and then I got an intestinal virus and the only way to deal with it was to just not eat for a day.

I never eat before I work out, ever. I always take in protein and fat after I work out except on the fast days.

Iceskater - interesting link, LOTS of information too (especially with there being 6 parts and all)!

Personally I workout roughly 5 hours after eating lunch, is that considered fasted? or...not quite there yet?

That's a good question. I wouldn't know how to tell but I would assume that if you had a moderate meal at lunch you'd probably be pretty close to there.

I grok, therefore I am.

Iceskater is offline Junior Member

From my understanding, the 'fasting' state starts after the 'fed' state (3 hrs after a meal).

from the site,

"We know what happens in the “fed” state. The body is digesting the food consumed in the previous meal, generating energy from the carbohydrates and fats ingested and depositing excess as stored glycogen and fat. "

You should be fine at 5 hrs (though I like to wait 8 hrs, to be sure insulin is good n low

AdamKayce is offline Junior Member

I'm only a few days into my IF experiment, but I'll share my experience...

I tried IF a while back, but my diet wasn't all that clean, and it was really, really hard. I gave up after too long.

But now, I've been eating clean for months—and between 40-60 grams of carbs/day—and I jumped into 18-19 hour fasting windows, and it's been no problem at all. Workouts are fine (I worked out this morning-I'm a CrossFitter—after 17 hours of fasting); energy levels, hunger, etc. are all normal.

And, I'm down three pounds, after being stalled out for a while. Woo hoo!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast