Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any other really heavy guys(or gals) out there doing bodyweight exercises? page

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member

bodyweight exercises - any other really heavy folks out there doing them?

Primal Fuel
    im currently 367lbs and i have been doing body weight exercises for my lift heavy things part of the PB. i was wondering if there was anyone else out there at about my weight doing these? more or less follow mark's PBF formula right now but i am going to be adding a few convict conditioning exercises into the mix when i get a pull up bar installed that will hold my weight

so far i find the bodyweight exercises to be quite challenging and im on the low end of the levels for the exercises. i was wondering if anyone is at the higher levels especially overhead press and pull ups? my goal is to be able to knock out some pull ups at a heavy weight, just not sure how realistic that is

i know if i can really increase my strength now at this weight when i lose they should be really easy
    Last edited by Mike Gager; 07-18-2011 at 01:26 PM.
    Primal Chaos
    37yo 6'5"
    6-19-2011 393lbs 60" waist
    current 338lbs 49" waist
    goal 240lbs 35" waist

Griff is offline Senior Member
    What are you doing for diet? If you want to lose weight, your diet also needs to be addressed, because 80% of your weight depends on what you're eating.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

yeah im eating 100% primal. ive lost 26lbs in 4 weeks so far.

im 6'5" and my goal weight is 240.

szorn is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post
    im currently 367lbs and i have been doing body weight exercises for my lift heavy things part of the PB. i was wondering if there was anyone else out there at about my weight doing these? more or less follow mark's PBF formula right now but i am going to be adding a few convict conditioning exercises into the mix when i get a pull up bar installed that will hold my weight

so far i find the bodyweight exercises to be quite challenging and im on the low end of the levels for the exercises. i was wondering if anyone is at the higher levels especially overhead press and pull ups? my goal is to be able to knock out some pull ups at a heavy weight, just not sure how realistic that is

i know if i can really increase my strength now at this weight when i lose they should be really easy
    This guy is over 300 pounds and moves through space rather easily. Of course, he probably has an advantage over many of us with good genetics and a background in powerlifting. ‪D3Hundred (The Inspiration)‬‏ - YouTube

trippplez is offline Member
    Just make sure you start the Convict Conditioning exercises from the ground zero. Don't rush it, you WILL build up strength and coordination. Big up to you that you are pushing it even when you still have a lot to lose. If you keep losing weight the moment you get close to 200-250 you will become a "machine" because of your weight at the moment - you are effectively training as if you have fairly heavy backpack all the time.
    Last edited by trippplez; 07-19-2011 at 01:39 AM.

MikeEnRegalia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Gager View Post

Pull-Ups are next to impossible at your weight, unless you're somehow an athlete who has been specializing in training pull-ups for several years and at the same time accumulated a lot of bodyfat. I'm currently at about 230lbs (down from about 270lbs), and I've been working out at the gym for about two years now, and I still can't do a pull-up. I can do more than 20 push-ups, and I can now do lat pulldown (supinated grip) at 80kg (about 180lbs), which is more than what I see most really muscular guys doing, but obviously if you do the math I'm still way too overweight to pull up my own bodyweight. Assuming you're an average height guy, your ideal bodyweight even with a decent amount of muscle mass should not exceed 200lbs - let's make it 220lbs. Imagine a really muscular guy (think Arnold) doing pull-ups with an additional 3 big 45lbs plates hanging from his hips, doing pull-ups - that's what you want to do.

My recommendation: Do Australian pull-ups:

Al Kavadlo – We're Working Out! All About Australian Pull-ups

Even if you do them on a 45 degrees angle, they'll still be quite challenging for you. The main objective obviously is to lose bodyweight, but that won't happen overnight.

i am 6'5" with a big frame (8" wrists) i dont think ill ever get down to 200

fwiw arnold was 240 @ about 6ft (no one really knows how tall he is for sure)

PrimalClay is offline Senior Member
    I am 6 foot and 240 now. I do a lot of push ups using those "perfect push up" disks. I do sets of ten or twenty and average around 60 push ups a night. At the gym I can do 3 pull ups. I really wish I could do more. I think if I can ever get to doing sets of ten on the pull up bar I might give up free weights all together.

In regards to your question I am a pretty strong guy but even at 260 or 280 I could not do a pull up. I would try and would rise up a bit but not very far. I think it was around 255 when all of a sudden gravity gave me a little slack and I was able to do a few.

I know for 40 dollars you can buy a weight assist band system at academy. Basically it attaches to the pull up bar and has a little bar for your feet. You can then get between 10 and 100 pounds of assiatance depending how many bands you use.

I know your 360 but maybe a 260 pound you could crank some out. Might be worth the 40 dollars to see.

Best of luck

bloodorchid is online now Senior Member

Neilfenstein is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You could try body rows at angles getting closer to horizontal as you progress. I did this to progress to pull ups. The benefit is they engage the core better than lat pull downs giving you a better work out and also use the muscles involved in a proper pull up. It is very difficult to gauge the body weight you could lift doing lat pull downs to be honest as you are often on a bench etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast