Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Want to go Primal but scared of hair loss page

niesa21 is offline Junior Member

Want to go Primal but scared of hair loss

Shop Now
    Hi I'm new here and am very intrigued by the primal lifestyle. I have done low carb before and have had much success losing weight. However, every time I decrease carbs and increase animal fat my hair falls out. I have read that animal fat increases testosterone which converts to DHT which causes hair loss. Obviously this doesn't happen to everyone but it does seem prevalent here in the forums. I don't think it is the decrease in carbs that does it because when I decrease fat substantially and stay low carb the hair loss will stop. But who wants to live like that? Also, I have tried supplementing with biotin, shin min, etc.. Any advice?

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    You do know that hair loss is common any time you lose a significant amount of weight or go through another bodily stress temporary hairloss is a common phenomenon. It's called telogen effluvium (you can Google it) and is perfectly normal.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I have similar issues.... will be keeping an eye on this thread, if anyone has advice on how to regrow the hair lost due to TE more quickly.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    My hair's thicker than ever. My skin is 100 times better, too. Sounds like a shedding phase to me. The same thing happens for a lot of people that start minoxidil. The weak stuff's gotta fall out to grow back fuller. If anything, I'm growing a little back. Ever hear of a bald caveman? Me neither. Stick with it and see if the hair grows back. Also, Nioxin is a great shampoo and I strongly recommend it alongside their conditioner.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i havent had any problems and my hair is really long

davem is offline Senior Member
    Hair loss is prevalent on the forums? Really? I know of this thread, and one other than mentioned fear of it. I wouldn't see anything to indicate prevalance.

What's low carb anyway? I'm around 75g, and no hair loss, in fact, I think some of my chest hair is getting all Burt Reynolds on me.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I had thinning hair and male pattern baldness BEFORE going primal. Going primal is bringing my hair back to its glory. My stylist over the weekend complimented me on how thick its getting and that it looks like I'm reversing the baldness.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    This is the craziest thing I ever heard... (Well, close)

I pretty much eat primal and even do injectable testosterone that I get from my thyroid/hormone doc. No hair loss.

But, I was getting some before when my thyroid was jacked, so it got better.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    I had thinning hair and male pattern baldness BEFORE going primal. Going primal is bringing my hair back to its glory. My stylist over the weekend complimented me on how thick its getting and that it looks like I'm reversing the baldness.
    Thyroid is getting better as a good side effect of primal and leptin reset.

niesa21 is offline Junior Member
    I'm sorry, what is the craziest thing you have ever heard? That increasing animal fat increases testosterone or that increased testosterone can cause hair loss?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast