Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I had a heart attack two years ago, trying to make sense of chol #'s page

berger6696 is offline Member

I had a heart attack two years ago, trying to make sense of chol #'s

Primal Fuel
    Hi. I'm (almost) 36 and at 34 (on my birthday) I had a heart attack. I thought I ate well (lowfat, no soda, twinkies, chips or cheeseburgers), was in good physical condition (5'9" 155lbs), and regularly lifted weights. I'm an accountant so I sit on my ass all day.

I've just gone through my lipid tests to try to make sense of the numbers and am looking for a little direction. Here's what I have:

7/30/2007 test for life insurance:
    total chol 194
    LDL 99
    HDL 28
    Triglycerides 355
    VLDL 67

8/31/2009 heart attack
    total chol 115
    LDL 74
    HDL 16
    Triglycerides 126
    VLDL 25

*politely declined statins with the hopes of "eating better" and "exercising more" to better align chol #'s.

11/06/2009 checkup with cardiologist
    total chol 166
    LDL 99
    HDL 29
    Triglycerides 190
    VLDL 38
    *started jogging in addition to easing back into weight lifting. 2/1/10 started P90X. Did this daily for 10 weeks. Continued to do P90X about 4-5x/week.

04/09/2010 checkup
    total chol 163
    LDL 104
    HDL 29
    Triglycerides 148
    VLDL 30
    *Guilted into starting statins. Still doing P90X 4-5x/week.

07/19/2010 checkup
    total chol 138
    LDL 64
    HDL 33
    Triglycerides 203
    VLDL 41
    *Still not seeing the magic HDL #40 so I started Insanity (intense cardio program) around the first of the year.

03/21/2011 Healthfair
    total chol 122
    LDL 69
    HDL 31
    Triglycerides 111
    VLDL 22
    *Found this website around May 2011. Replaced Fiber One breakfast with homemade Quinoa apple cinnamon coconut almond breakfast. Increased eating eggs and meat and decreased pasta and bread. Diet changes were significant, but not near 100%. Maybe down to 2 or 3 pasta/bread based lunch & dinners per week from 8+.

7/15/2011 walk in lab test
    total chol 155
    LDL 90
    HDL 39
    Triglycerides 130
    VLDL 26

Still doing P90X/Insanity/Playing Tennis about 5-6X per week. Weigh about 145.

Thoughts?

7/17/2011 eliminated pasta, bread, cereal and quinia from diet. Breakfast was a egg, spinach, tomato, sausage cassarole. Lunch was a salad. And Dinner was a steak or fish with veggies. Cooked in coconut oil. Snacked on almonds. Very little deviation from this over the past month.

8/19/2011 walk in lab:
    total chol 159
    LDL 98
    HDL 34
    Triglycerides 135
    VLDL 27

I also had the other stuff tested that was recommend in this thread
    Glucose 97
    hsCRP 1.2
    A1c 5.5

Not sure what I'm going to do from here.

09/30/11
    total chol 183
    LDL 120
    HDL 39
    Triglycerides 120
    VLDL 24
    Last edited by berger6696; 09-30-2011 at 06:27 PM.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Just from the numbers and your notes, it doesn't look like you changed enough to matter. The pasta and bread don't get reduced. They get eliminated.

I don't really know what "Quinoi apple cinnamon coconut almond breakfast" is, but it sounds like "I want to change, but I really don't want to change..."

Overall, you don't look like a lipid train wreck or anything. Trigs are high, and that means reduce carbs more.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Get rid of the grains, dude. You won't progress until you do what needs to be done.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Anyone know how long it takes for diet changes to be reflected in lipid tests?

The quinoa cereal is primal, no?
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/alter...grains-quinoa/

Do grains need to be completely eliminated to effect cholesterol? I'm working on it, but I'm not usually the one that makes dinner. Trying to get the wife on board.
    Last edited by berger6696; 07-18-2011 at 09:26 AM.

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    I noticed you are busting your ass on workouts. I have both P90x and Insanity.

Both of these programs put you into the "chronic cardio" range. To follow the primal plan, you need to cut back to doing an insanity or P90x workout far less often.

Kill the grains and sugar. Period.

Walk often

Sprint/ and or do half of a P90x program (or WOW) no more than 3 times per week.

I'm packing on muscle much faster than I was while KILLING myself with Tony Horton 5x a week. Now, I just visit Tony once a week or so, but mainly try to exercise outside with a sledgehammer/ tire and a sandbag.

I feel 100x better than I did doing Insanity every day. Sure, my Vo2 max went up a little and I lost a bit of weight (not much), but I felt like marinated dog shit on those programs. It's not sustainable. I like Sean but I think those workouts increase my cortisol.
    Last edited by astronmr20; 07-18-2011 at 09:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by berger6696 View Post

Alternatives to Grains? | Mark's Daily Apple

Do grains need to be completely eliminated to effect cholesterol? I'm working on it, but I'm not usually the one that makes dinner. Trying to get the wife on board.

Does your Quinoa cereal have any added sugar? If it does, you are blowing everything up. But regardless, you need more fat than that to get primal. Quinoa may be somewhat primal, but eating it for breakfast does not address the macronutrient ratios you need.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by berger6696 View Post

Alternatives to Grains? | Mark's Daily Apple

I got insulin from over 17 to less than 7, but it took 6-12 months, I forget. I lost 120 lb too.

It looks like you have one foot in the right place, and the other foot where you were. If you want to make a move, you need to move both feet.

I don't know if you are still doing those health-killing workouts, but astronmr20 is right about that, and sugar/grains.

chickenbackside is offline Senior Member
    You gotta cut out the grains and sugar. Cereal? Seriously?

If you're healthy and have triglycerides below 50 and HDL above 70, sure a small bowl of quinoa cereal once a week might be ok.

Focus on the things that matter. Eat real food, cut out all sugar and grains.

Quote Originally Posted by astronmr20 View Post
    I noticed you are busting your ass on workouts. I have both P90x and Insanity.

Both of these programs put you into the "chronic cardio" range. To follow the primal plan, you need to cut back to doing an insanity or P90x workout far less often.

Kill the grains and sugar. Period.

Walk often

Sprint/ and or do half of a P90x program (or WOW) no more than 3 times per week.

I'm packing on muscle much faster than I was while KILLING myself with Tony Horton 5x a week. Now, I just visit Tony once a week or so, but mainly try to exercise outside with a sledgehammer/ tire and a sandbag.

I feel 100x better than I did doing Insanity every day. Sure, my Vo2 max went up a little and I lost a bit of weight (not much), but I felt like marinated dog shit. I like Sean but I think those workouts increase my cortisol.
    Figured I'd get shit for the workout routines. A few things about that.

1) I really enjoy working out.
    2) I have scaled back all P90X routines to about 1/2 hour. 45mins with ab ripper.
    3) I have modified the schedule to be something like chest/back day1, shoulders/arms day2, cardio day3, off day4. repeat.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Also, since we are talking cholesterol, simply check out Mark's book, the Primal Blueprint. Explains why blood cholesterol is NOT an indicator of weather or not you are prone to another blockage. Simply put, the medical establishment has it as upside down as our damned food pyramid.

Seriously-- read that book. You are getting little hints in these forums, but you need a solid foundation of the method.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast