Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paleobird's Chicken Liver Pate page

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member

Paleobird's Chicken Liver Pate

OMG EFFING WONDERFUL! I made some this am - to have an ezpz 50g of protein for bkfst - as an alternative to eggs/meat every day. I could easily gorge myself on this if not careful! I made only 1/2 the recipe b/c I wanted to make sure I liked it - I added sauteed mushrooms (I don't like raw shrooms) and onions - I have a feeling dd is going to eat this up like no tomorrow for a snack today after daycare!

Drain 2 lbs chicken livers for at least 20 minutes to get out excess water.
    Saute livers in 4 tbs of fat of your choice.
    Just as they are almost done, crack in 8 eggs and scramble the whole mess until eggs are cooked.
    Season with whatever you like. I like a mix of Italian herbs, garlic salt, and pepper.
    Blend with a stick blender until everything is mixed.
    Add 12 oz of sliced mushrooms and continue blending.
    Divide into 6 of the above little tubs. Refrigerate to set up. Each one should be just a tad over 250 grams.

If you want to get fancy with the pate, you can coat a dish with oil, coarsely grind pepper around the inside of the dish then put in pate. Then you can un-mold it and have pepper all over the outside.

I also sometimes add sliced olives, capers, pimentos, just to keep things interesting.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    This sounds great! If I see chicken livers at the store this week, I'll give it a try!
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

geostump is offline Senior Member
    That's it, I shall try this out this weekend.
    Georgette

catols is offline Junior Member
    This looks so good! I will have to try it out. If I were to serve this at a party what you guys suggest to serve it with? I plan on having my folks over for the holidays this year and I am starting menu options now.
    Starting weight - 226
    Height - 5 ft 8 in
    Goal - When I can buy clothes without a W in the size and my doctor and I agree I have lost enough. But if you want a real number we think about 160 to 165.

ottercat is offline Senior Member
    pate is awesome in celery boats!
    Cooking Primal with Otter - Journal
    Otter's (Defunct) Primal Log
    "Not baked goods, Professor, baked bads!" ~ The Tick

The kids kept asking for more...when they had snack time after picking them up from dcp... ds kept coming up to me pointing, squeeling and signing more! DD just asked for a spoon.. she didn't want it w/the celery...

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    I made something like this with chicken liver once. Well, it was the chicken liver, eggs, and then lots of spinach with some herbs. I suspect the mushrooms will put a nice flavor curve on it. Will try it soon.

Hunt3R is offline Member
    This is pretty much how I make my pate, but I use pastured lamb or beef livers and I think some good pastured butter is the best "4 tbsp's of oil" you can use, for flavor. And instead of eggs (that's weird) I use another 3-4 tbsp's of butter when blending. Plus plenty of red wine, that's where pate gets a lot of the flavor. I saute the mushrooms and onions in red wine and butter too.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunt3R View Post
    This is pretty much how I make my pate, but I use pastured lamb or beef livers and I think some good pastured butter is the best "4 tbsp's of oil" you can use, for flavor. And instead of eggs (that's weird) I use another 3-4 tbsp's of butter when blending. Plus plenty of red wine, that's where pate gets a lot of the flavor. I saute the mushrooms and onions in red wine and butter too.
    yum sounds good! may have to try it this way next time around!

Paleobird Guest
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunt3R View Post
    I've been working on a jar of goose drippings from roasting a goose a while back. That's what I've been using for the fat. Sadly, it's running out.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast