Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with a stubborn parent,,,, page

eri
    eri is offline Member

Help with a stubborn parent,,,,

Shop Now
    Hi everybody!

I have a diabetic II 60 years old father, stubborn, big belly, high cholesterol, lover of bread and beer and red wine and rice and so on. He is not into junk food at least, but cannot leave without bread for lunch and dinner, and one beer a day, without considering rice once a week and potatoes 2 times or 3 a week, fried stuff, a lot of fruit everyday...
    It's impossible form me to convince him about the advantages of primal lifestyle, he is still thinking that carbs are necessary and good for health,,, everything I could do is changing his breakfast habits. He used to eat 2 small slices of white bread with olive oil, and coffee with skimmed milk. Sometimes he didn't eat nothing, which means he didn't eat nothing at all from dinner time (around 10 pm) to 3 pm f next day, which I thought must be causing stress and maybe worsening his diabetes issue (?).
    Anyways, I cook breakfast for him everyday, tipically egg with tuna or canned fish, bacon or some other meat, or eftovers from dinner, or a piece of primal bread (coconut and almond flour) with olive oil or ham... and so on.
    He is also taking 2000 UI of vit D3 everyday.
    Fish oil... well, is my next goal... nto sure if he will want to add "another pill" to the long list of medicines he needs to take everyday -_-

The thing is, my mom says he is getting fatter since he is eating this kind of breakfast.
    My question is... if his habit is not primal at all, and he is still eating bread, wheat, alcohol, rice, potatoes, as well as a lot of vegetables, fruit, meat... is it possible that primal breakfast is wrong for him?
    Would it be better if he fast and skip breakfast? what about insuline response? I mean... if he doesnt eat at all for 16 or 17 hours and then he take a normal not primal meal with bread and so on...

Thank you in advance!

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    High fat and high carb together are probably the worst for a person. With high fat, insulin is moderated and you don't store quite so much. Other people can have a lot of success with high carb, low fat diets.

High carb high fat is the worst of both worlds. A primal breakfast shouldn't be making that much difference, though.

You can't change him if he doesn't want to change. It's not your body and it's not your choice. It sucks (my mom is the same way) but the only thing to do is get them to read the book and encourage them.

Shijin13 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jfreaksho View Post

You can't change him if he doesn't want to change. It's not your body and it's not your choice. It sucks (my mom is the same way) but the only thing to do is get them to read the book and encourage them.
    This! I'm trying to get my mom to consider paleo/primal and find a cardiologist who's up to speed on how paleo/primal woe can help reverse heart disease... all you can do is give them the information and let them know it comes from a place of love...they'll either make the change on their own... or they wont...

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    I have often wondered what woudl happen if meat was availible to these people. Liek cook a pound of bacon and set it on the table. what woudl happen,. would bacon love set in? steak for dinner? i wonder
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't push it at all. He may come around on his own, but trying to convince him just won't work.

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eri View Post
    Would it be better if he fast and skip breakfast? what about insuline response? I mean... if he doesnt eat at all for 16 or 17 hours and then he take a normal not primal meal with bread and so on...

And people wonder why I made an issue of the IF thing getting out of control! It's going to take a long time to undo the damage...

Sorry, didn't mean to pick on you (eri) specifically. I just see people just about every day struggling with this fasting thing and it's not for solving significant weight problems. It's more for people who are fit and want to get more fit.

I have mixed feelings on trying to help family members that don't want to pay attention or make changes. I have the same issues. Like jfreaksho mentioned, you can end up mixing the worst of both worlds.

My dad is type 2 also and needs to lose a lot of weight, but he won't change anything. He saw me drop 120 lb in a year, but no matter how many times I explain how, he just wont make any changes.

jennachica is offline Member
    Unfortunately there is still the mentality and belief that diabetes and cholesterol is managed by oatmeal and whole wheat bread, low in sats, red meat, etc. My grandmother and aunt both have high cholesterol and follow the HC, LF diets prescribed by their doctors. When I suggested to grandma that we exchange her morning bowl of oats and jam AND a slice of toast for eggs, she literally looked at me like I was a) nutso, and b) trying to kill her.

You have to understand that the CW 'cure' for these diseases are so ingrained its (near) impossible to convince people otherwise sometimes, especially when its their trusted physicians who are recommending the CW approach.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Here are my thoughts on "converting" people to Primal. The short answer is you probably can't, so let go.

I am 68. I eat white rice about once a week. I have a glass of wine most days. I eat potatoes daily. I'm old and stubborn and not give those things up. But I am still making great progress with Primal.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Belforte is offline Senior Member
    I am having a dialogue with my MIL at the moment about primal and nutrition. As someone above (jfreaksho) said high fat and high carb is probably the worst combination. My goal is that through her, she can teach her other DIL and her obese daughter more about nutrition and better choices.

As I have high blood sugar I give this as the reason for cutting sugar and wheat. Realistically I do not expect a positive response if I expect them to do exactly as I have done, so I expect them to continue to eat a little bread and sugar.

For example I said to my MIL to stop eating bread after lunch and I am also trying to teach her about HFCS, too much sugar, soy ingredients and vegetable oils...hoping that will drip feed down to the niece. I think for most these really are nasty things that people can focus on first. The youtube lectures, Sugar the bitter truth and Children of the Corn Syrup are really good.

So let him eat the carbs...but tell him to read the ingredients, I have no doubt even the whole wheat bread has sugar and soy in it. Just eliminating that will have health benefits. But let him have the bread if he finds a better alternative.

I have a brother who I thought was really open to new ideas and I have found him really closed off on this topic. The physical changes in you should be enough, but for some people unless is comes from the doctor in advice or a pill it does not count.
    Life. Be in it.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eri View Post
    what about insuline response?
    How to Lower Your Blood Sugar

Quote Originally Posted by DFH View Post
    My dad is type 2 also and needs to lose a lot of weight, but he won't change anything. He saw me drop 120 lb in a year, but no matter how many times I explain how, he just wont make any changes.
    Change one's goal. It doesn't have to convince anybody of anything. The goal should simply be to share better information.
    Last edited by js290; 07-19-2011 at 12:53 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast