Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Jess3315 page

jess3315 is offline Member

Primal Journal - Jess3315

So I have finally decided to commit to the primal lifestyle. I have tried it a few times, and at one point made it almost a month a felt awesome. Life really got in the way lately, and I've put on the pounds, I'm a female in my mid 20s, only 5'5" and weighing close to 200lbs. This is the heaviest I've ever been, and it got this bad because I kept putting off eating healthy ... the "there is always next week to start" attitude. I know going primal won't lead to instant weight loss, but it will mean I'm leading a healthy lifestyle, which is what I need.

I just signed up for my first Warrior Dash, so I have 11 weeks to get into better shape. I am starting my workouts today to prep for it, and decided now is the time to get back to eating primal as well.

I figure if I keep a journal of what I am doing it will help keep me motivated and accountable, and hopefully will keep me from falling back into old habits of eating foods to make myself feel better. I've already set up a reward system for shedding pounds that are all non food rewards (trip to the spa, buying a new pair of vibrams, etc). The biggest reward will be me being at a healthy weight and finding activities that I really enjoy.

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Jess. You can do it!
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Hedonist, thanks for the encouragement!

Yesterday I got in some exercise and ate primally. I did make a banana walnut bread with almond flour, mainly because I had some bananas that were going bad. No added sugar, and it was delicious!

Food Log
    B - 1/2 ricotta cheese and nectarine
    S - 1 oz beef jerky (post workout snack)
    L - 1/2 grilled chicken breast, 1 cup broccoli and 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
    S - 1.5 oz cheese, 1/4 cup cashews
    D - chicken chili topped with half an avocado, and afterwards I had a chunk of banana walnut bread

Fitday breakdown : 2,192 calories, 60% fat, 21% protein, 19% carbs

Today I am going to aim for fewer calories, 2192 is a lot still. I brought some fruit to snack on today so I don't end up snacking on nuts all day.

Movement
    Jogged/Walked a little over a mile on the treadmill
    Did some weight training on the machines

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    I know you want to lose weight but I would strongly recommend you not count calories. Focus on food volume. Do you need 3-4 oz of meat with each meal or 5-6 oz or more?
    I'd want a lot more veggies than you are eating to feel full and I am a bit amazed that you are starving. But then, what works for you doesn't need to work for me.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

girlarchitect -

I don't plan on counting calories, I'm just using it as a basis right now to see roughly what I am consuming, I'm really more interested in how much protein, fat and carbs I'm consuming. I realized yesterday was lacking in the veggies, so today I'm gonna make sure to get more in. I think the reason I was hungry yesterday was because I wasn't eating enough to feel full for my breakfast and lunch. Good advice on focusing on food volume, while I want to lose weight, I am more interested in feeling healthy and having more energy. Today I'm going to try adding more veggies in to see if I stay full longer. Thanks for the advice!

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    Actually, after posting this morning, I re-read this post by Mark and realized that you probably used FitDay or similar to journal your food and track the percentages. (silly me)

I think it's probably a good idea to use a program like that to track how you are doing and I am thinking I should do the same.

Thanks for the inspiration!!
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

So yesterday didn't go exactly as planned, but I did get in a little more protein, and fewer calories. More importantly, i wasn't as hungry in between meals. The only real temptation was to have a big spoonful of peanut butter before I went to bed. Peanut butter for me is like chocolate for other people I have almond butter, which is good, but not quite the same. I also bought some cashew butter that I haven't opened yet. I noticed that since I cut the grains out my sleep is better at night ... not really a shock for me!

I did want to do some mindless snacking when I got home from work, but instead I had some primal fuel, marinated some steak, and proceeded to clean house ... my husband can tell you, I never voluntarily clean house :-D I just kept occupied to keep from eating out of boredom. After dinner was made I ended up on the phone with Verizon Fios for almost an hour .... sigh ... so I didn't eat up eating much of my steak and veggies, I was too irritated. About an hour after not eating much of my dinner I realized I was hungry so I blended up a strawberry primal fuel smoothie, I made a huge batch and froze about half of it to bring into work today.

Today I got a bit of a late start because I was sleeping so well I decided to go ahead and grab another 30 minutes, I will eat some breakfast shortly then hit the gym to continue my Warrior Dash training.

Food Log
    B - Piece of banana walnut bread (it kept me full longer!)
    L - Chicken chili with avocado and a nectarine
    S - Apple, and primal fuel mixed with about 3/4 cup milk (1% organic)
    D - Flank steak topped with an avocado/salsa blend, some steamed veggies on side (Really didn't eat much of this)
    S - Frozen strawberries blended with milk and primal fuel

Fitday breakdown: 1,882 calories, 49% fat, 22% protein, 28% carbs

I needed less calories yesterday, but I had a little more carb intake than I should. I kept is just below 150 grams, but I should be aiming to keep it closer to 100. I think a big part of that was the 2 cups of milk I had plus all the fruit. Today I am going to eat more veggies, I am stopping off at the store tonight to get more, turns out a lot of things I thought were still good in my fridge we not ...

Movement
    I took one of my dogs on a short walk (10 minutes)
    Cleaned house a bit, vacuuming and such (With 3 dogs vacuuming is a lot of work at my house!)

So I have got to say, I am feeling awesome! I have so much more energy than before when I was still eating processed junk! It is a huge difference, today and yesterday I walked 18 (golf for those non golfers ). Even though the heat index had it over 110 degrees I still kept going and was able to push myself to complete it. I did notice though that because of the heat I really wasn't very interested in eating afterwards.

Wednesday's Food Log
    B - banana walnut bread
    S - strawberry protein shake post workout
    L - BAS with leftover steak, guac salsa mix, some bacon, and sunflower seeds, with a nectarine for dessert
    D - Mini primal pizza (was going for individual sized but too big for me to eat so I ate half) with olive oil and brie
    S - I did cave and have some peanut butter with chocolate mixed in

Thursday's Food Log
    Didn't eat till after golf
    L - other half of primal pizza, ricotta cheese with berries
    S - banana walnut bread, and more pb with chocolate
    D - bunless baconator from wendys ... the power kept flickering here so take out it was

Wednesday I did some cardio for warrior dash, thusday walking 18 was plenty of movement

I've got two more days of golf coming up so I will try and stay on top of my journal. The key is that I am feeling great right now!

Yesterday was great. I got up early and naturally, no alarm on my days off work! I knew it was gonna be hot, but I decided to get out and walk 18 holes.... yeah it was crazy hot, felt like 115 degrees outside. I finished in just under 3 hours, which is really fast for walking, especially with the heat trying to drag me down. Afterwards I went into the club bar and had a glass of iced tea and enjoyed the ac. I ended up grabbing a shower and change of clothes there then ordering a nice healthy lunch. After than it was errands to run, and I didn't stop until I finished cooking dinner, then I relaxed.

Food Log
    B - Skipped because of golfing
    L - side salad with oil and vinegar, grilled chicken with cheese and bacon, and a cup of mixed fruit
    S - half a larbar ... I had read about them here and wanted to give it a try ... not bad, but very filling
    D - 6+ oz sirloin steak grilled and topped with some feta cheese and sauteed peppers and onions .... so delicious
    S - had a late night chocolate pb mix again.... today my goal is to avoid this... or at least use a nut butter

Movement
    Walked 18 holes

Today I started out my morning with a 1 mile jog/walk with my shepherd, now I'm drinking my tea and getting ready to go play another round of golf. It will prolly be cart path only again, so I will walk even though its disgustingly hot out.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So this morning I hopped on the scale to see how things were looking... I'm down a bit, just below 200 lbs, but its better than being above like I was at the beginning of the week! I am feeling good and I have a lot more energy than I did even last week. I was very tired after 3 days of walking 18 holes in the extreme heat, so I took a nap after lunch, it was much needed. Today I played in a tournament so I rode instead of walking, but it still felt good to get outside and stay moving.

Saturdays Food Log
    B - skipped due to golf
    L - two pieces of primal pizza and the other half a larbar
    D - 1/2 of a bunless baconator from wendys, it was late and I really wasn't as hungry as I thought

Satuday's movement
    Jogged/ walked 1 mile with my shepherd, then walked 18

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast