Thread: Wrist positioning for barbell bench press page

jeffmorello is offline Junior Member

Wrist positioning for barbell bench press

I have just recently started weights at the gym and I was wondering about the position of the wrist when doing bench presses. Should they be bent as when doing flat handed push ups, or in line with your arm as when punching? I meant to ask at the gym, but forgot about it, so I figured I would ask on here given how much information is on these forums.

js290 is offline Senior Member

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    In line like punching.

RezH is offline Senior Member
    Most effective method is a false (thumbless) grip, wrists bent. But it's not really safe with heavier weights. Make sure you are using safety pins. I also use false grip on overhead presses. It forces you to keep your elbows in, which is crucial on both bench and military presses.

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    RezH: I commend Mark Rippetoe's comment about the false grip, namely, please do so in your own basement, so your screams of pain won't disturb the other guys training when you drop the weight on your own head.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    RezH: I commend Mark Rippetoe's comment about the false grip, namely, please do so in your own basement, so your screams of pain won't disturb the other guys training when you drop the weight on your own head.
    Yup. It's called a suicide grip for a reason.

Leida is offline Senior Member
    Also, make sure you are not combining the overhead arch with a thumbed grip. It tends to put a shoulder-wrist out of alignment and leads to an injury. I've learned that a hard way after I switched from thumbless (damn you, seductive BP video!) to thumbed (should have read Starting Strength earlier!). Overoll, the steadier, the straighter, the more perpindicular you bench, the steadier and less injury-prone the press is. Well, I have skinny wrists so for me it is a biggie.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RezH View Post
    Most effective method is a false (thumbless) grip, wrists bent. But it's not really safe with heavier weights. Make sure you are using safety pins. I also use false grip on overhead presses. It forces you to keep your elbows in, which is crucial on both bench and military presses.
    or you could just learn to do it correctly? OP don't press this way.

jeffmorello is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks for the info, I never even thought of a thumbless grip but I will work on getting straighter wrists.