Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: *Sigh* Food ideas...? page

Primal Babe is offline Senior Member

Question *Sigh* Food ideas...?

Shop Now
    I've been primal for the last year I guess, but have so many food allergies that I'm sick of eating the same foods all the time. :/ I'm hoping others will have ideas for me...

It's probably easier for me to post what I CAN eat, rather than what I can't, so here goes:

Organic/grass fed/free run: Beef, pork, eggs.
    Veggies: All except corn.
    Fruits: All, except apples must be cooked.
    Pure Maple Syrup

I can use olive oil & save my bacon drippings.

And that's about it.... If it's not on the list, I can't eat it. So no tree nuts, dairy, no sulphites, coconut is hit & miss... Pretty much everything else gives me hives.

Breakfast is usually bacon or bfast sausage with eggs, dinner is some meat with steamed veggies, sometimes a sweet potato or squash.

I know this is all good, healthy food but I'm bored with never having any variety in the food I eat.

Any other meal suggestions for me to get me out of this rut?

I should add, I'm 5'9, female, and prefer not to fast (although i rarely eat more than twice a day) or my weight drops too quickly. It's all I can do to keep my weight around 117lbs.

Thanks for any help....

davem is offline Senior Member
    Beef tartare. Beef Carpaccio. Why no fishies? I would go for some good tuna belly, shred it up with a fork, add a little soy, a little seasame oil, green onions. How about Chocolate beef? Marinade beef with a marinade based on garlic, and cacao powder, and sear in butter, maybe finish in the oven, I would just eat it blue.

Veggies? That's easy, sauteed fiddlehead ferns. People get into a rut with veg because they decide to purchase from a comfortable list of 5 or 6 different veg. Expand.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal Babe View Post
    I've been primal for the last year I guess, but have so many food allergies that I'm sick of eating the same foods all the time. :/ I'm hoping others will have ideas for me...

It's probably easier for me to post what I CAN eat, rather than what I can't, so here goes:

Organic/grass fed/free run: Beef, pork, eggs.
    Veggies: All except corn.
    Fruits: All, except apples must be cooked.
    Pure Maple Syrup

I can use olive oil & save my bacon drippings.

And that's about it.... If it's not on the list, I can't eat it. So no tree nuts, dairy, no sulphites, coconut is hit & miss... Pretty much everything else gives me hives.

Breakfast is usually bacon or bfast sausage with eggs, dinner is some meat with steamed veggies, sometimes a sweet potato or squash.

I know this is all good, healthy food but I'm bored with never having any variety in the food I eat.

Any other meal suggestions for me to get me out of this rut?

I should add, I'm 5'9, female, and prefer not to fast (although i rarely eat more than twice a day) or my weight drops too quickly. It's all I can do to keep my weight around 117lbs.

Thanks for any help....
    Have you visited any of the great Paleo Cooking blogs? There are some amazing recipes out there. Your food list is not too far off mine - I eat low lectin: so no dairy, eggs, nightshades, nuts. I have to search through a few more recipes, but there is an unlimited bounty of great food out there.

I can post a few links if you would like.

Davem, can't have soy, I am allergic to ALL dairy, marinades typically use vinegar/soy sauce etc, can't have either of those. No fish because I need to find somewhere around me to buy organic fish that hasnt been "fish farmed", I'm allergic to food additives/chemicals/preservatives as well. I do eat whatever veggies, guess I need to expand my cooking knowledge in that department.

Jammies, would love any links you have to share, thank-you!

Well crap, I just replace the hard drive on my laptop and just realized that I lost all my recipe links! Bummer... but here are a couple. I have to comb through recipes to avoid foods I can't have. You may have to be creative for substitutes for some of these recipes. For example - coconut aminos instead of soy; lime/lemon/orange juice instead of vinegar; ghee or olive oil instead of butter; apple cider plus lime juice for cider vinegar. But they are usually still good and it is nice to change things up some times: Good luck - I hate it when i get in a food rut....a new recipe or flavor can usually bring me out of it.

Food | Everyday Paleo

Stuff I Make My Husband

Recipes ~ PaleOMG

My friend made this tonight and told me it was to die for - she used sirloin roast instead of rib roast but it was still awesome.

Rib Roast with Mushroom Crust Recipe : Chuck Hughes : Recipes : Cooking Channel

I've made this one recently with a mixture of lime and orange juice instead of vinegar - also used pork butt and belly - fantastic served on romaine lettuce leaves with red onion chutney:

Braised Pork Belly Tacos Have Knives, Will Cook

I just remember - did you know there is a recipe section on this forum? You could try there as well.

Thank-you, Jammies!!

Sudenveri is offline Senior Member
    Dude, one word: SPICES. Meat is meat until you do something with it; there's a world of difference between steak that's been simply seasoned and grilled, a flank steak with chimichurri, something that's been hit with a dry rub of cocoa, cumin, allspice, salt and pepper...it's all about the spice. Same thing with veggies - stir fry with garlic, ginger and sambal olek, salad with homemade citrus vinaigrette, oven-roasted Brussels sprouts with garlic and lemon - it's all in what you do with the raw materials. My own restrictions are pretty much in line with yours - no dairy, no nuts - and my diet is pretty varied. Check out sites like Tastespotting for ideas (though be warned that it's not a primal site, so there's a lot of chaff - so to speak - to sift through), or the Recipes section of the forums.

As for the seafood, you might look for wild-caught canned sardines and salmon. Wild Planet is a good brand.

belinda is offline Senior Member
    Someone posted a recipe for primal chicken liver pate this morning that had a very simple ingredients list. What about giving something like that a try?
    Newcomers: If you haven't read the book, at least read this thread ... and all the links!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread17722.html

F/49/5'4"
    Jan. 1, 2011: 186.6 lbs PBSW Mar. 1, 2011: 175.8 lbs
    CW: 146.8 lbs
    GW 140 lbs
    A proud member of PETA: People Eating Tasty Animals

Juliemama is offline Senior Member
    I agree, spices, seasonings, citrus juices in marinades...each time you shop, pick up a new veggie and a new spice/seasoning...and find a way to use it before it goes bad! I don't see any green leafies...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast