Thread: Ideal Oven Cooking Temperature page

NoMoreGrains is offline Member

Ideal Oven Cooking Temperature

Primal Fuel
    My default mode of cooking has become my oven, and I am wondering if there is a good rule of thumb for cooking temperatures of certain meats (beef, lamb, pork, fish). I generally do 350F and try not to cook it too long. Should I base the cooking temperature on the smoke point and fat ratios of the meat, meaning a higher temperature is safer for ruminant meat, and lower temperature for pork and oily fish?

What's a good cooking temperature that will minimize oxidation, AGEs, etc.? Is 350F for a short period of time better than a lower temperature for a longer time?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I'm definitely not an expert, but it seems 90% of normal mainstream recipes use 350F. If you're ever not sure, that's what I would go with.

From what I understand, though, you cook tougher meats lower and slower.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    I don't use the oven that much (usually for tough cuts of meat only). I used the stove (pan frying, pan-broiling) or my toaster oven broiler to cook most of my meats.

Nevertheless, 350F seems to be the standard. I do 450-500F at the end if I want a crust on the meat. Slow cooked meats (think ribs, roasts, etc) are usually done in the 200-250F range.

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    Today, I cooked a pound of chuck steak for dinner. I set the oven at 212 degrees F, and cooked for about an hour and 45 minutes. It came out perfect, medium rare, juicy, and sooooo tender. But yes, I generally try to keep the stove temp at or below 350 degrees F.

Hello NMG,

For Lamb and Beef assuming at least a 3-4 lb roast or larger, 450 degrees for the first 15 minutes to seal in juices, then 10-15 minutes for each pound at 325 degrees.

Pork - tenderloin 325 degrees, approx 40 minutes for 1.5 lbs., Butt or Picnic, 200 degrees for 3-4 hours (sealed in foil) more hours for larger roasts.

All fish that is 1/2 in to 1 inch thick (salmon, mahi, sea bass, wahoo, snapper, grouper, etc) , set shelf in upper 3rd for oven at 425 degrees, approx 12 minutes for average fillet. I use moist coatings, olive oil and spices or homemade mayo and spices.

Goldengrokette

Doddibot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by goldengrokette View Post
    For Lamb and Beef assuming at least a 3-4 lb roast or larger, 450 degrees for the first 15 minutes to seal in juices
    Or the last 15 minutes, for chicken.

It doesn't actually seal in juices, just browns the outside surface (which tastes good).
    "Thanks to the combination of meat, calcium-rich leaf foods, and a vigorous life, the early hunter-gatherers were robust, with strong skeletons, jaws, and teeth." - Harold McGee, On Food And Cooking: The Science and Lore of the Kitchen

Nion is offline Senior Member
    It's good to undercook lamb a bit, btw. It's very easy to overdo.
    I'm a paleo foodie, come check out my recipes: http://strangekitty.ca/

+1

I usually take it out at internal temp of 125 degrees, it continues to cook while resting for 15 minutes.