Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mixing Bowls & Food Processor page

Drama is offline Member

Question Mixing Bowls & Food Processor

Shop Now
    I purchased a bunch of cooking supplies (thank you for the suggestions!), but I still need mixing bowls and a food processor. What brands do you recommend?

I was told the Ninja Master Prep set is a good food processor, but one review I read has me skeptikle -- the reviewer said it isn't strong enough (450 watts) for the majority of food processing tasks.

I have been looking at other brands but I'm still not sure what I should purchase. Suggestions appreciated!

I also read that the Pampered Chefs stainless steal mixing bowl set is great, but it is pricey (around $80 I believe).

Thoughts?

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    Mixing bowls aren't rocket science. Either get glass or stainless or a set of both.
    This pyrex set is what I use for my glass bowls. I either bought the set at Target or the local True Value.

Something like this set will work fine for stainless. Try Target or the local hardware store

I also like to have some small prep bowls to put chopped veggies in. I like pyrex custard cups in 6oz and 10oz sizes. These are really inexpensive and endlessly useful to have around as prep bowls, baking dishes and for serving. Very easy to find - again Target, a hardware store or even try your grocery store.

Food Processors - I own a Cuisinart, which I like a lot but is a bit pricey at about $140-80. I think mine is 11 cups which handles most of what I need cooking for myself and would work for a smaller family as well (I like to entertain). Kitchen Aid also makes a good sturdy model and a lot of friends like it and it is often a bit less expensive.

Both of these are good and sturdy and worth the investment if you have the cash to spare. I use my 2-4 times a week at the very minimum. For either, you can usually scrounge around for coupons and sales to cut the cost. or buy last years model or color as they really don't change in design.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

girlarchitect is offline Senior Member
    I just clicked your food processor link - if you are willing to pay for the 7-cup Cuisinart, go for it. It's a bit small for me but I frequently cook for company ... and I bought to handle bread dough, ironically, as I used to do a lot of baking (we shall see how long I last primal).
    My parent's Cuisinart is 30 years old and still working like it's brand new which convinced me to buy my own. Funny - the classic hasn't changed much in design at all.
    My primal journal that I don't update enough:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33293.html

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    As I am in the market for a blender, what I have read about the Ninja line is that while they boast powerful motors matching much more expensive models, they still have plastic gear assemblies. The end result is that it ends up being very capable of destroying itself by stripping its gear assemblies.

Personally I use my food processor a lot, and I find it really worthwhile having one with lots of power. I can vouch for the Cusinart Elite line from personal experience. The thing feels really solid; it sits astride the counter like a pile of bricks. If I had one complaint about it is that the rubber seals around the top lid cannot be removed and are difficult to clean as a result.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drama View Post
    I also read that the Pampered Chefs stainless steal mixing bowl set is great, but it is pricey (around $80 I believe).

Thoughts?
    If I'm spending that kind of dough on a mixing bowl, I'm taking home a nice copper one. Seriously, go to Ross, homegoods, TJ Maxx, whatever... and get a cheap set of metal bowls, as quality will have little reflection on the end product.

As for a food processor? You can get a cheapo black and decker for $20-$30 at Sears, which will probably handle most of what you need, then get a smaller cuisinart food chopper when you have some cash as it's about $40-50 and does wonders for making pastes and set pieces for dishes, or even mayo.

I've finally found something my black and decker cheapo chopper can't handle, it's relatively thick pieces of jerky that I'm chopping up for a batch of pemmican.

girlarchitect mentions she uses hers 2-4 times a week, and for point of reference, I use mine 2-4 times a month. I only use it for stuff I can't do by hand, and don't mind having a messy finish. I used it to chop nuts today.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Crystalftw is offline Junior Member
    I have a test kitchen of america membership, according to them this is the best one you can own. Held up well in all the testing, etc. I'm going to buy it next paycheck. w00t w00t. But I also cook every meal for a family 4, 2 of which are very hungry men. lol
    I agree any set will do, and the more the merrier. I have two different sets. I also second the little bowls for prep work, super handy!
    <3-Crystal

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Mixing bowls: I'm all about Corelle & Pyrex kitchenware. Yep, it's made right here and it's really all I use. Stuff is super-durable and not that expensive. Nothing like made in America.

I spent $15 on my last set of general use mixing bowls, I replace all mixing bowls in 3-4 year cycles except for copper. I would not use any mixing bowl that is not metal. Pyrex is great until you chip it.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Your Pyrex chipped? My parents have had theirs for... well... longer than I've been alive. Still good as day one.

Yeah, which is why I'm not a huge fan of them. I also had one of the sauce pans crack in half on me while boiling water on an electric stove. That was fun.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast