Thread: Let's talk Coconut page

Edje Noh is offline Senior Member

Let's talk Coconut

Primal Fuel
    This food (coconut meat) is becoming more and more a favorite of mine.
    What I like about them:
    - They're calorie-dense: It's high saturated fat, which makes it a great source for energy, plus it fuels nice and slow, which makes it a great satieter
    - Little preparation needed: I just buy one coconut a week, crack it and put the pieces in a container in the fridge, immediately available whenever I want it
    - They're cheap
    - Easily mixed into other dishes: Shred them into an omelet, a smoothie, a sauce, cook in the butter or just eat a piece on the side. A piece of coconut meat makes a great additive to any meal.
    - Great as trail food

Share any thoughts on the Coconut

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    I bought one yesterday - hope ot doesn't taste soapy, like the last one did.

I am hoping to make a Kidney Curry with fresh grated coconut in it...

TARNIP is offline Senior Member
    I avoid buying them as it would take me an age to get the coconut meat from the shell! Any tips on the best and easiest ways to open them and get the meat out?

Just throw the coconut in an oven at 175 degrees C for half an hour (make sure you get all the coconut water out first, by drinking it from a straw thru one of the holes). It should be cracked open after this half hour in the oven.
    Hammer it into a couple pieces. Grab a medium-sized kitchen knife and slice it into the coconut meat at a 90 degree angle (straight into it), turn the knife to the side and pieces should let loose from the shell. (Some pieces might already be loose from the shell after putting it in the oven and hammering it). Clean the pieces and put them in a container and fridge. Takes a bit of time (10 minutes if you're adept at it), but you've got coconut meat supply for a week.

L8F
    L8F is offline Senior Member
    Good tips. I buy coconut flakes and cocnut milk in a can, and use it in cooking all the time. Great sauce base for thai style curries, add some yogurt to it for some tang. Like to toast the flakes and put on top of dinner as crunch instead of breadcrumbs. Will buy regular cocnut and try it out since I have some time on my hands. Do you drill a hole to get the juice out? If so, power drill or just screw driver etc?

Open the soft hole (one of the three is soft) with a hammer and screwdriver or just use a knife that is narrow enough to get thru the hole.
    Than put in a straw or just lurk on the coconut itself :P Do make sure you get all of it out before putting it in the oven, as else it can get a bit soapy. I usually don't eat the coconut straight away afterwards as it's still pretty hot from the oven.

Jen Musick is offline Junior Member
    Can someone give me some ideas on what to use coconut milk for?
    Jen

picklepete is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jen Musick View Post
    Can someone give me some ideas on what to use coconut milk for?
    Curry sauce, ice cream, blended coffee, hot cocoa
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list