Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alcohol: Drink or Thrive? page

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member

Alcohol: Drink or Thrive?

I am sitting on my couch here, enduring what has turned out to be a 17 hour long hangover (which is finally starting to ease), and cursing at myself for letting it happen. It all started as me walking to the liquor store and buying a six pack of a rather delicious beer (Abbey, by New Belgium), and thinking to myself "I'll just have one tonight".

Well, one turned to two, then three, then six... And I didn't think to drink any water either last night. I woke up and had a pounding headache, and felt the typical hangover symptoms. It was so bad, in fact, that I had to call in to work and say I couldn't come in (no mention of a hangover though...).

This is not a new story for me, but this time, it brought a few things home. First of all, how could I be so stupid to drink in the first place the night before I have to work in the morning? And why couldn't I limit myself to just one? I can finally see the error of my ways, and that's the first step.

My response to this situation? Anybody can say one should practice moderation, or save it for the weekends, or just stop entirely. But I seem to always forget the consequence and do it anyways. So I resolved to stop entirely. I'm better off without it, and there's no reason to try to moderate when you abstain. The problem is, I've quit many times and eventually fell off the wagon. I can't say this time will be different, I know for damn sure I want it to be. So that's why I am posting this. Not for a pity party, or attention, but just to post it in the first place. I want to write it down and look at it, and remind myself everyday if need be. I'm sick of being sick, and sick of being dumb enough to let myself feel this way.

kenn is offline Senior Member
    You drank beer? lol.....since I quit eating grains, I dropped everything that is made with grains (beer, sauces, etc...) beer also makes me sick now

Switch to dry wine or cider, i did and have no hangovers
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I've never liked beer. Maybe that makes it easier. Liquor however...

I generally don't drink, but when I do drink I enjoy it. By enjoy it I mean one, or two, or several. Depends on the situation, but it doesn't happen often. I can be thankful that I don't get hangovers- or at the very least my body's version of a hangover is just feeling sluggish and slightly tender skin. *shrug*

How you want to handle alcohol is up to you. However I would say avoid beer and similar beverages. Wine is best, but I find liquor enjoyable also.

The issue isn't what the drink is made of, but the alcohol in general. Regardless of it being beer, wine, rum, cider, fermented goats milk... It's the intoxicant in the beverage I take issue with. I love having one or two drinks every now or then, but I've been less and less likely to stop at one or two, and it's more often than not more than "every now and then".

periquin is offline Senior Member
    If it is hard to stop, even if you aren't getting drunk, you have a problem. You already know that you have a problem or you wouldn't have posted here. That is a fortunate thing---the knowing. Talk to someone in AA. They all understand and want to help.
    Tayatha om bekandze

Bekandze maha bekandze

Randza samu gate soha

kenn is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post
    If it is hard to stop, even if you aren't getting drunk, you have a problem. You already know that you have a problem or you wouldn't have posted here. That is a fortunate thing---the knowing. Talk to someone in AA. They all understand and want to help.
    Was getting the same feeling from the last post as well....

I drink once in a blue & heavily, but I don't spend all day thinking about drinking, thats how I separate the two concepts...
    Starting Date: Dec 18, 2010
    Starting Weight: 294 pounds
    Current Weight: 235 pounds
    Goal Weight: 195 pounds

rayout is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kenn View Post
    You drank beer? lol.....since I quit eating grains, I dropped everything that is made with grains (beer, sauces, etc...) beer also makes me sick now

Switch to dry wine or cider, i did and have no hangovers
    Oh god....last weekend my co-worker had his annual "bad beer" festival. I think I had a total of 3 good beers and a tasting of 10 "bad" beers so maybe only 4 beers total. Headache/hangover lasted 36 hours...

Never again! No issues with red wine...

katemary is offline Senior Member
    You can't rationalise it. Sometimes its just the dulling feeling you want. I can go months without, but (like all things) if I have a bit, I crave the dampening effect, sometimes I wonder if I have a problem - when its 8 pm and you have felt hungover and sick all day and still do and still want to finish the day dulled by more alcohol...

at least you are aware of it. For me - I can go months without but then will have half a bottle socially then will get more on way home and then have 4 mths of drinking heavily every night. But I can stop and go without without intervention. Even having to vex over it speaks volumes, I know it does for me. I hope you can find out what works for you...

Barbaric is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by periquin View Post
    AA works for some and not for others. I would also suggest contacting someone in Smart Recovery. Same concepts, different toolbox. Either way, you have to decide for yourself that you need help and actively seek it.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm not into the AA thing, too religious for me. I always considered it to be a food thing. I used to drink a ton of energy drinks every day, Gatorade, juices, coffee drinks from starbucks... I never had an urge to get drunk, but the taste of the beer/wine/whisky is what compels me, same as energy drinks like AMP or Full Throttle. This may be wishful thinking or rationalization, but it's what I'm going with. If I can give up junk food, this will be the same.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast