Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kale tastes BITTER to me. page

Viking is offline Senior Member

Kale tastes BITTER to me.

Primal Fuel
    I like the idea of kale a lot but when steamed or sauteed it seems really bitter to me.

Anyone experienced this too, and have a solution? I haven't really tried anything but perhaps adding a drop of stevia might help.

For lunch I had my home-made meatballs (yum) and TJ's putanesca sauce over a plate of steamed kale. The sauce hid the kale flavor fairly well but not enough.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Kale is a bit bitter. I find that adding some acid minimizes the bitter flavor.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    I always thought Kale was very bitter - then I discovered that I had been eating big, mature leaves. The first time I tried the young leaves, they wern't bitter at all and I ate them raw with nothing on them (must've been craving it lol )

For the mature leaves, I like to make Kale chips or this salad(if you're not scared of fat)

The Raw Chef: Wilted Kale Salad with a Creamy Chipotle Dressing

You can leave out the hemp seeds if you hate or just don't buy - it tastes fine without.
    I don't use as much chipotle pepper, I grind up the whole ones and put in a teaspoon before blending and tasting. I'm a spice weenie.
    I do not use 2 Tablespoons of salt to wilt the kale - it's WAY too salty for me. I start with only sprinkling some salt and crushing with my hands. You'll know if it needs more salt, because it won't wilt well.

I always add extra tomatoes - cuz I love the sweetness with the spicy - so good.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Kale is very bitter. I love bitter. It's one of the strongest flavors around, so I embrace it. Seriously, it's much easier to learn to like bitter things than it is to make bitter things not bitter. But steaming or stir-frying do a pretty good job of "improving" the flavor of bitter greens. I eat them both ways to maximize the nutritional yield.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Kale pretty much sucks.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Lulz.

Good feedback folks!
    @tangentrider, I assume you mean something like vinegar for acid. Have to think about that some more, i.e. how to use in a recipe.

@Lily Marie, good point about the age of the leaves, and I think I have noticed before that younger leaves taste better. I will check out the recipe in a minute.

@Knifegill, I hear ya on embracing bitter. I can get into that mindset some times, just not there now.

Anyone think that adding "sugar" like stevia to a sauce on top of kale might mask the bitterness? I have yet to try this.

Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    I always thought Kale was very bitter - then I discovered that I had been eating big, mature leaves. The first time I tried the young leaves, they wern't bitter at all and I ate them raw with nothing on them (must've been craving it lol )

For the mature leaves, I like to make Kale chips or this salad(if you're not scared of fat)

The Raw Chef: Wilted Kale Salad with a Creamy Chipotle Dressing

You can leave out the hemp seeds if you hate or just don't buy - it tastes fine without.
    I don't use as much chipotle pepper, I grind up the whole ones and put in a teaspoon before blending and tasting. I'm a spice weenie.
    I do not use 2 Tablespoons of salt to wilt the kale - it's WAY too salty for me. I start with only sprinkling some salt and crushing with my hands. You'll know if it needs more salt, because it won't wilt well.

I always add extra tomatoes - cuz I love the sweetness with the spicy - so good.
    OK I looked at that recipe and it sounds great. But I think they left out rinsing the salt off the kale. You should prolly put it in a colander after salting and then rinse it off after it's wilted. I recently "degorged" thin slices of zuchinni, to remove water, by salting and letting it sit. Then rinsing. This was for zuch lasagna which was great by the way, and not too salty.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Viking View Post
    Good feedback folks!
    @tangentrider, I assume you mean something like vinegar for acid. Have to think about that some more, i.e. how to use in a recipe.

@Lily Marie, good point about the age of the leaves, and I think I have noticed before that younger leaves taste better. I will check out the recipe in a minute.

@Knifegill, I hear ya on embracing bitter. I can get into that mindset some times, just not there now.

Anyone think that adding "sugar" like stevia to a sauce on top of kale might mask the bitterness? I have yet to try this.
    I do mean something like vinegar, though citrus works also and has much more variety of flavor: orange, lemon, lime, kumquat, grapefruit. This is off the top of my head, but I don't think sweetness would work as well. But then, I enjoy a bit of bitterness in my greens and this probably colors my opinion.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by tangentrider View Post
    I do mean something like vinegar, though citrus works also and has much more variety of flavor: orange, lemon, lime, kumquat, grapefruit. This is off the top of my head, but I don't think sweetness would work as well. But then, I enjoy a bit of bitterness in my greens and this probably colors my opinion.
    OK, thanks for clarifying. Yes, citrus juice. I noticed that the recipe Lily Marie posted calls for 1/4 cup lemon juice. That'll do it. Thanks again.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast