Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Convince me not to eat this ice cream. page

shema is offline Senior Member

Convince me not to eat this ice cream.

Shop Now
    Hi everyone. I’ve been reading Mark’s Daily Apple for a couple of years now and have lurked on the Boards but was a bit shy to post. Lately I’ve been feeling desperate for advice so I figured I’d start here.

SOME BACKGROUND:
    I was diagnosed as a Type II Diabetic 3 years ago at the age of 30. I was quite thin at the time and a cardio freak so was devastated with the diagnosis. Instead of taking control, I said “Screw this. If this is what years of healthy living has gotten me, might as well live it up and indulge all I can!”

Flash forward to January 2011. I was 40 pounds heavier than when I was first diagnosed! After some troubling symptoms I saw a neurologist who diagnosed me with mild neuropathy.

I realized I had to stop “killing myself with food”. I promptly started a Whole30 program and lost about 12 pounds in a month and a half. I maintained the weight loss until now, but did stray from being primal with on and off sugar binges (that I’d account for with lots of exercise) until about 2 weeks ago when, again, I started eating/living Primally in earnest.

THE PROBLEM:
    So here’s the weird/embarrassing issue. There is a very specific flavor of Ben&Jerry’s that I absolutely lust after. The only thing that’s helped me get through the last 2 weeks of being strictly Primal is a promise to myself that I’ll allow a “cheat/treat” of that ice cream the day I get my period this month (b/c that’s when my cravings are most intense). After my cheat, I will promptly go back to being Primal. I’ve literally thought about the ice cream every day for the past two weeks (but did not cheat!).

My husband has bluntly told me that this approach is akin to an alcoholic saying telling himself he'll have “one drink a month” or a heroin addict saying she’ll shoot up “once a month” and then go back to being sober/clean. In other words, it’s an unrealistic approach doomed to fail and undo all my progress.

My take on this is that if I don’t allow myself to eat this specific brand/flavor of ice cream, I’ll go on an all out binge when I just can’t take it anymore.

Of course uncontrollable sugar binges is what’s gotten me to where I am today.

I just don’t know what to do. Should I eat this Ben&Jerry’s for just one day? Or am I screwing myself if I do? If I shouldn't cave, how I can stop these thoughts about B&J that overwhelm my mind like every day?

I’d really appreciate some advice...

eelnus is offline Senior Member
    I agree with your husband but at the same time if you're primal all the other times, then my opinion is that it's okay....for now. But I think you need to look at what you're eating and try to figure out what it's missing or if you still have trigger foods that you are eating. PB eating shouldn't be that hard. It shouldn't be a dreaded thing where the thought of your indulgences is the only thing that's keeping you going. You should be craving PB foods and love eating it. So what exactly are you eating? Are you eating enough fats? Are you eating too much fruit?

camel is offline Senior Member
    Well, isn't primal really 80/20? While its great to do whole30 for some reasons, it may not be sustainable long term. Knowing that you can have SOME "off plan" foods can help you to make it more livable in the real world.

Its not like, well I had some icecream, so I "blew it", now I'm going to eat everything in sight. Its more like, I can have a little icecream because I've made primal choices 80-90 percent of the time.

Laconophile is offline Senior Member
    Ice cream is the worst thing you can binge on, next to cake. If you must binge on junk food, get some cheeseburgers or a meat lover's pizza.

But if you crave sugar only you probably have a sugar addiction. In that case your husband is right.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    That depends. Are you going to eat the ice cream ALL DAY - or are you just going to have a few bites or 1 small bowl?
    80/20 does not mean to go out and eat 1 or even 1/2 a tub of ice cream.
    I say, if you can't control your portions - don't do it.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    I have a lot more success when I treat myself with something that is gluten free, even if it has more sugar and other crap, but I'm also not a diabetic. A burger bun will mess up my insides for a couple of days, while a Dairy Queen hot fudge sundae just means I won't lose any weight that day.

I'm with Lily Marie - if you know you actually can stop at a scoop or two, then I'd say go ahead. If you can't stop, then don't even start.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

shema is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I only did Whole30 for exactly that, 30 days, b/c I know it’s not sustainable for me personally (and my husband was also in my ear constantly reminding me that I was unnecessarily depriving myself of things I love like cheese.)

So things I’ve been eating include:
    -Savory zucchini bread (that I made with almond flour, parmesan cheese, eggs, zucchini , salt, pepper and butter). I’d eat with cream cheese.
    -Roasted caulflower gratin (cauliflower mixed with goat cheese, monterey jack, heavy cream).
    -Portobello mushroom burgers on the grill (beef with ground mushroom)
    -Shrimp tossed with sesame oil, cilantro and lime juice
    -Boiled eggs; fried eggs
    -Roasted eggplant and zucchini
    -Duck bacon
    -Coconut butter
    -Chicken breast with red cabbage with the dressing available at my work. (probably not best option since I’m guessing it has unhealthy oils but it’s full fat and I eat only small dabs of it)
    -small handful of salted pistachio nuts as a snack every other day
    -occasional sips of diet soda or gum. I do try to minimize this as much as possible so its pretty rare.

That’s all I can think of immediately. Anyway, it IS food that tastes good. A few times when I had a hankering for sugar I’d just eat 3 strawberries and feel better.

But I still obsess about ice cream. I do tell myself that I will only eat a bowl and that will be the end of it. I feel like I won't really know if I can stop until I actually try and that's what's scaring me. I admit that I am scared that I might go nuts and finish off a pint and then want more b/c that has been a pattern in the past. Something must be very wrong with me. Ugh.
    Last edited by shema; 07-16-2011 at 03:38 PM.

Roary is offline Senior Member
    Have a tiny bowl and ask your husband to discard the rest.

newberrycrater is offline Senior Member
    Well what flavor of B&J's is it? Perhaps you could find a substitute that would satisfy the craving without all the sugar?

Ice cream used to be my indulgence of choice, B&J's specifically. But I do allow myself dairy on my plan. I buy heavy cream produced by a small local dairy that has grass-fed cows. I seldom crave ice cream anymore because I know I can have rich, luscious, creamy cream and ultimately that's what I really wanted...healthy saturated fat to nourish my body.

Mike Gager is offline Senior Member
    i think using junk food as a reward is about the stupidest thing someone on a diet could do.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast