Thread: Using Salt Products for Iodine and Potassium page

choppedliver is offline Senior Member

Using Salt Products for Iodine and Potassium

Shop Now
    I'm wondering if taking fortified salt products can substitute for iodine and potassium. Specifically, I'm thinking about using Iodized Salt, widely-available in supermarkets for Iodine, and Morton's Salt Substitute, not so widely available, as I've found, for Potassium.

The alternative would be to rely on kelp/iodine supplements or foods with high potassium content: bananas (high glycemic) and avocadoes (too much PUFA and too damn, expensive). What do you think?

lizzychan5 is offline Senior Member
    lots of foods have potassium, salt water fish, pork, lamb, tomatoes, cabbage, broccoli. Personally, I don't like fake salt (mainly because its fake), There are so many better sources to get potassium.

Iodine is in shellfish, seaweed, eggs, meat, dairy, and salt water fish. Personally I've been making the switch from mortons iodized salt to sea salt, since sea salt has trace minerals from the sea in it. I also like the taste of sea salt better.

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    the amounts of iodine and potassium in fortified salts isn't enough. relying on those sources are going to throw your potassium/sodium ratios way off.

choppedliver is offline Senior Member
    What is the proper ratio between K and I?

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    the amounts of iodine and potassium in fortified salts isn't enough. relying on those sources are going to throw your potassium/sodium ratios way off.

IcarianVX is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by choppedliver View Post
    What is the proper ratio between K and I?
    According to this site: Potassium - to - Sodium Ratio Affects Overall Health Part 2: Imbalance Often Leads to Hypertension
    it's 110:7 by weight, which practically no one gets in their regular diet.

I use both Iodized sea salt and a kelp supplement to up my iodine intake. My potassium intake has always been awful. I need to figure out how to fix that.
    People too weak to follow their own dreams will always try to discourage others.

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Potassium:
    Swiss chard, crimini mushrooms, spinach, celery, mustard greens, broccoli, winter + summer squash, cucumbers, ripe tomatoes, collard greens. And obviously, banana.
    Iodine:
    Kelp/sea vegetables, which make delicious food, by the way!, yogurt, eggs, sea fish, strawberries.
    It is really that difficult?

Scroll down to the orange charts in the links.
    My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.