Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dumb, and common argument against Primal/Paleo page

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member

Dumb, and common argument against Primal/Paleo

Shop Now
    I have noticed that (I think) the most common reaction to Primal/Paleo when you try and spread the good word to someplace where the concept is a bit new, is this-

"Yeah, but Paleo people had shorter lifespans. Who wants to live only 35 years?"

I can think of a lot of ways to counter this, and I suspect you can too.

What do you say to these people?

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I say that a figure like that is an estimation of average lifespan based on modern day hunter gatherers, if based on anything at all, and the problem with average lifespan is that infant mortality drags it down considerably. In a hypothetical population of two people where one dies before its first birthday and the other dies at age 90, the average lifespan for that population is of course 45 years. If you survived infancy, chances are you'd live a pretty long time. And infant mortality is fairly high in most animals anyway.

People seem to think that malnutrition and starvation were the biggest killers. They killed us back then just as often as they killed any other animal, if not less (I'm speculating) since we are omnivores. They don't make the connection that they can eat a healthy hunter-gatherer diet while not actually living like a hunter-gatherer.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    Good point.

The response I give first is that Paleo people lived dangerous lives, didn't have antibiotics, and had less protection from the elements. It's good to see some other views on it.

davem is offline Senior Member
    Would a proper response be, of you don't really understand, do you? Then walk away. If they continue, pick up a clumP of grass, fling it into the air and grunt.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I stopped using the "eat like a caveman" thing. Now I just tell people I eat according to the latest science.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    I was just thinking it might not be a good idea to mention the infant mortality thing to most people because in the typical reactionary nonthinking person's mind, it's an easy jump to, "Oh my god, your diet advocates dead babies!"
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

dmartins is offline Junior Member
    In the U.S. at least we are rarely in danger of becoming a meal, and medicine and sanitation have greatly increased life expectancy.

Aly
    Aly is offline Senior Member
    More common arguments I hear: "If you're going to ditch regular shoes, stop eating grains, and start going to bed at 9:45, why don't you just rip off your clothes and run into the nearest patch of woods?" ; "We've adapted to our diet of grains!" ; "If that were true, the nutritionists would have told us. No offense, but I trust my doctor more than I trust you and some guy with a website."

Betho is offline Senior Member
    I don't talk about it a whole lot but the one I have gotten several times is "But... it's FOOD!" (when talking about something that shouldn't be eaten)

DaisyEater is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Apex Predator View Post
    I stopped using the "eat like a caveman" thing. Now I just tell people I eat according to the latest science.
    Yep. I don't go into the evolutionary thing generally. I talk about inflammation and allergies and such. Then I tell them how my lab tests and symptoms for my hypothyroidism are so much better. It's hard to argue with results. They may still believe that they need "healthy whole grains" but it's pretty clear they were doing a number on me.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast