Thread: Upping Caloric intake (bulk for lifting) page

Conner P. is offline Senior Member

Upping Caloric intake (bulk for lifting)

So I have a hard time eating enough calories to supplement my lifting. My lifts had all been going up, but I have hit sticking points across the board. It is obviously a food issue. I eat well and am content with the amount, however it is not enough to achieve my weight lifting goals. I have started drinking more milk and adding coconut oil to my protein shakes, but I still need to bump up the intake.

I basically need caloric dense foods and am tempted to venture into the land of oats to meet this goal. Can some of you help me out besides "EATMOAR"? If I start eating much more, I will feel like shit.

kurite is offline Senior Member
    Eat some dry fruits like raisins and dates. Most people on here who are low carb are on it for weight loss.

I don't intentionally try to be low carb. It's just that I prefer protein and fat since ditching wheat products. Befoer I wouldn't think twice about killing a bag of bagels or a box of cereal. But I have a hard time just going all out on veggies and fruits.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Fry 2-4 eggs and put that over your dinner. If you steam veggies, drench them in butter or stir-fry them instead. Whipped cream with berries, butter on your steak, coconut oil in your hot chocolate (melt 2.5oz dark chocolate and 2T coconut oil, add milk, whisk and heat through), add whipped cream to said hot chocolate . Mashed potatoes are an easy way to get both your carbs and fats in (add LOTS of butter). When eating meat, stick to fattier cuts like thighs with skin if chicken, chuck or rib-eye depending on budget, pork chops with lots of fat still attached.

EDIT: If you're lifting hard, then carbs are very important and a lack thereof could very well be another factor in why you're stalling.
    Last edited by AndreaReina; 07-16-2011 at 07:12 AM.

I know its a lack of carbs that are hurting. But veggies are more fiber than digestible carbs, and fruits contain a lot of fructose. And potatoes will get boring. I'm just kind of at a loss of how to up the carb count. Protein and fat are easy, it's the carbs that are a btich.

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    I'd go with rice over oats.

CE402 is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes
    Beets
    Jicama
    Rutabaga
    Turnips

All good starchy tubers in addition to rice and regular potatos.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    i have been adding in some white rice and once or twice a week something like a gluten free hamburger bun. i'm also trying to gain.

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    I've been adding the white rice too.. I think sweet potatoes, white rice, fruit are good post-workout carbs.. & have 2 big cheats meals per week after a workout.. Eat the ice cream, sugars, carbs.. Whatever you want to eat.. Satisfy any craving twice a week.. I eat wings, pizza, ice cream, cheesecake.. Whatever I want & don't think twice about.. I'm trying to gain, so the extra nutrients & maybe a little "trash" can be a good thing.. Mentally its feels great

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Conner P. View Post
    I know its a lack of carbs that are hurting. But veggies are more fiber than digestible carbs, and fruits contain a lot of fructose. And potatoes will get boring. I'm just kind of at a loss of how to up the carb count. Protein and fat are easy, it's the carbs that are a btich.
    I couldn't get bored with potatoes given all the different ways I can have them: skillet potatoes (with butter of course ), mashed potatoes, baked, au gratin, tartiflette (bacon and potatoes smothered in creme fraich, wine, and reblochon cheese, my god it's good)....

But rice, sweet potatoes, taro are all very good alternatives (well, drop the "very" on rice, but still good...), and post-workout you've got room to take in some fructose so that's a good time to have fruit as well. Bananas are almost ideal for post-workout glycogen replenishment as the small amount of fructose will also stimulate hepatic glycogenesis. Rice syrup is a glucose-only sweetener and so works for making ice cream and for your other sweetener needs.