Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So miracle noodles.... page

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member

So miracle noodles....

Primal Fuel
    Shirataki MiracleNoodle Shop!

Has anyone tried them? Is there anything unhealthy about them that anyone knows. Also I don't buy the food at my house so I'm wondering how they compare in price to regular grain noodles they have in the store. I was just wondering if they would be a good alternative for my family who isn't going primal in any way ...at least yet.

Paleobird Guest
    They're like rice noodles. Sort of a suidgy texture with very little taste. The texture would seem weird if you are expecting wheat noodles but I like Asian food so it's no problem for me. They are almost pure dietary fiber so some people have reported that that can cause GI problems but I've never experienced that.

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    What about the price issue? The noodles my family buys are standard spaghetti noodles not wheat. Is the cost a lot higher on these? 3.29 for 7 oz how much do regular noodles cost? I guess no one hear might remember that though since everyone doesn't eat regular noodles :P. I guess I'll ask my mom what she pays.

Oh yeah and did I miss the Spaghetti noodles or do they not have those?

Paleobird Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Raiken3712 View Post
    What about the price issue? The noodles my family buys are standard spaghetti noodles not wheat. Is the cost a lot higher on these? 3.29 for 7 oz how much do regular noodles cost? I guess no one hear might remember that though since everyone doesn't eat regular noodles :P. I guess I'll ask my mom what she pays.

Oh yeah and did I miss the Spaghetti noodles or do they not have those?
    Standard spaghetti noodles are wheat. (?) Oh, you thought I meant whole wheat. White flour is wheat just more processed.
    I don't have a clue about the price aspect. There are several companies on the net selling this type of noodle at some reasonable prices if you are willing to buy a whole box. If you want to try them first before buying in bulk, I suggest you find the nearest Asian market. Sometimes they call them shiritake but then there are also some shiritake noodles that are tofu so be sure to get the right ones. Sometimes they call them yam noodles or konjac root noodles depending on the brand.

kurite is offline Senior Member
    They tasted awful when I tried a very similar product. Plus compared to standard noodles they are expensive. If you plan on eating them make sure its in some kind of dish to cover the taste.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Sadly, I have never found anything that works with primal to substitute for noodles. I'm not a big pasta fan, but noodles, like with asian food? *sigh* I love em. I'm up there with you regarding ramen - not the icky little packet that comes with flavouring for them, but the noodles itself, they are divine. Spaghetti squash just doesn't cut it, though it'll tide me over in a pinch. I look at Shanghai Noodles with sadness.

On the up side, I now eat a ton more different foods that I love as much or even possibly more than those delicious, buckwheat or rice based asian noodles. I miss them less, because I eat more, and more variety, and overall food has become just better. Food is not just about shovelling it in, but about flavour and texture and cooking again. I can live without noodles, because I am healthier and happier this way.

Having said that, I do treat myself occasionally to some Pad Thai, and I enjoy every bite.
    Fighting fibromyalgia and chronic myofascial pain since 2002.

Big Fat Fiasco

Our bodies crave real food. We remain hungry as long as we refuse to eat real food, no matter how much junk we stuff into our stomachs. ~J. Stanton

Frawst is offline Junior Member
    I've had them - they're tasty. Remember to wash them in cold water before using them. They kind of ferment in the juices they're packed in, so if you forget to wash them you end up with the fishy taste a lot of people complain about. The key to making them work is to remember they are an Asian food and their texture will *not* work in western noodle dishes. They go best in sukiyaki (what the Japanese traditionaly use them for) and other broth dishes. They can also be stirfried if you're careful. They'll soak up the flavoring of any sauce they're paired with.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    I haven't tried them because the only ones I can find here are the type made of tofu.

Some options:
    - kelp noodles -- these can either be eaten raw or cooked. they have no flavor on their own. they have zero calories and zero carbs. i make a damn good raw pad thai recipe with them. the trick to them is to rinse and soak them for 20 minutes in water with lemon juice to soften them/their consistency up, then rinse again so they don't taste like lemon.
    - zucchini and yellow squash "ribbon" noodles. these are yum and are reminiscent of egg noodles. check out meadow's vlog for more info. my new fave comfort food.
    - depending on how your body reacts to them, rice sticks and bean thread can be excellent occasional sensible indulgence options when you really gotta scratch that itch. you can find both in the international aisle or your Asian market. i can do the rice noodles/sticks, but not the bean thread. YMMV.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

NourishedEm is offline Senior Member
    I use them (the konjak root ones), I love them, they take on the taste of whatever sauce you cook them in. Don't know about the US, but over here, they're a dollar a packet.

sarahz is offline Senior Member
    Where do you get your from EM? I found some in Fremantle and I think they cost me $4 and then when I went into my asian supermarket and asked for them she didnt even know what they were????

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast