Thread: Thinking about doing Whole30... page

Thinking about doing Whole30...

Primal Fuel
    ...but even after Googling I'm having trouble finding a fairly straight cut list for things allowed and not. For instance, the website mentions not eating white potatoes for being nightshades as well as the usual problems. Does this then mean that nightshades should be avoided? Some of it's a little vague and I'm hoping for anyone that's done it before for a little clarification.

I've decided that it's worth trying. Even though I'm doing pretty well eating Primal, I'm finding that my old binging habits are trying to come back, and I know some days I'm definitely eating too much. I know it's better than eating whole cakes, but things like berries are setting me off and my control suddenly goes out the window and I eat the whole container.

Any suggestions, or should I just stick to basic salads and meats? I guess I can't go wrong with those, but I'm having such a hard time, especially when my fiance keeps coming home with pizza and doughnuts, even though he knows I have a problem. I'm pretty sure it's the reason my weight loss has stalled for a little while now.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    When they say no nightshades they are generally looking at people with autoimmune disease. If you have a lot of inflammation or an autoimmune condition the protocol is no processed food, drugs and alcohol, grains, legumes, dairy, nuts, seeds, eggs, tomatoes, potatoes, bell peppers, eggplants, and probably something else that I forgot was a nightshade. Foods to eat are meat, fish, vegetables, fruits, olive oil, coconut, and they say you can have sweet potato, although I think this can be potentially irritating to some. I hope your case isn't so bad that you need to do all of that. If you think you're generally healthy and just want to be healthier or lose some weight then the first 5 are what to eliminate.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DemonGraveWolf View Post
    Any suggestions, or should I just stick to basic salads and meats? I guess I can't go wrong with those, but I'm having such a hard time, especially when my fiance keeps coming home with pizza and doughnuts, even though he knows I have a problem. I'm pretty sure it's the reason my weight loss has stalled for a little while now.
    How to Lower Your Blood Sugar

I do have Hashimoto's, but to my knowledge it hasn't reared it's ugly head for a while now. It's one of the reasons I'm trying to completely avoid any gluten. I don't think nightshades themselves are an issue for me, but I was curious as to how strict my attempt at this should be. I'm going grocery shopping again soon, so I need to know what to stock up on. I definitely want to focus on getting more vitamins too, and I'm considering making my own bone broth and buying some beef hearts.

I'm still trying to lose weight. My signature is a little out of date, I've now lost about 18 lbs now. It's been fluctuating up and down a little bit since I've gone back to overeating pretty badly some days. I feel like I need to get my bad habits back under control until I can continue losing however and I'd heard that trying Whole30 is a good way to do that.

j_wren is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm actually half-way through a Whole30. I decided to do it for, it sounds like, many of your same reasons. I was doing about 60/40 PB with some pretty spectacular binges so I figured it wouldn't hurt to do the Whole30 thing and try to break some bad habits. It's been pretty easy going for me, actually. The hardest part has been no wine but even that is getting easier everyday. And I do feel a lot better.

As for the nightshades, from what I understand from reading the website and the comments (haven't invested in the e-book), is that for some people they can be irritants and if that is something you are dealing with then Whole30 can help there. For others who are not having adverse reactions to nightshades, then don't worry about it and instead focus on eating real food. I even read on there somewhere that industrial oils weren't explicitly outlawed because the whole point of Whole30 was to reevaluate one's relationship with food and very few people binge on canola oil.

Good luck with whatever you decide!