Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PB Signal page

pauleygirl Guest

Primal Fuel

This is my version of the "Bat Signal" to any PB'ers out there who can offer some words of wisdom!

I have not posted in about a month, so let me remind you guys of my stat's- I am 38, 5'2'' and 185 (now, I gained 5 pounds).

Here is a daily break down of what I eat on a typical day:

2 eggs fried in bacon grease

with 2 strips of bacon and 1 slice of cheese

atleast 6oz of steak fried in bacon grease

a handful of pistachios, macadamias, sunflower kernels (chipotle flavored), or pecans.

Also, I admit to about 3 of 7 days where my diet will include one or more of the following:

1 mocha frappe or small coffee with milk and 1T of flavored creamer

a caesar salad (without the croutons, but with the homemade dressing)

some kind of chocolate (dark or otherwise)

occasional serving of broccoli

and 2x a month i go dancing and consume 3 drinks each of those nights (so 6 glasses of mixed drinks a month)

No, I do not exercise regularly. I keep threatening that I am going to start, but I have not stuck to anything as of yet. I go in spurts. 1 to 2 months of some sort of daily routine to nothing for 3 or 4 months. I am in the nothing months currently.

See anything too wrong with what I am eating? Any reason that the weight may not be coming off. I should say that though I have gained 5 pounds back, I still fit into the smaller sizes that I bought after losing the initial 12 pounds after starting the PB. So, it is either muscle or it has redistributed itself in places other than my hips, thighs, and waist.

I know this is a common type of thread, but would greatly appreciate any ideas some of you might have. I like to think that my few cheats do not hinder my success, but if that is what it comes down to, then I will cut back, but not totally out (yet).

Thanks for any help!

dfast is offline Member

In your 'something' exercise months, do you find yourself losing weight? I'm a big believer in diet causing the most changes (fat loss / gain) however it may be that you just need to move a bit more.

pauleygirl Guest

dfast

a year or two ago, yes. now, i guess because of my age, no. My body does tone up fairly quickly, but weight loss does not come easy for me. I can exercise for two weeks and begin to see results usually within the first week and a half. So, some would say, "well then why don't you stick with it?", to which I would reply, I use to think I could slack for a while and now I know different. To twll the truth, since I have been on the PB, I have not been eager to exercise at all.

dfast is offline Member

Personally I go through periods of being really excited about exercise to dreading it. The common factor though is that I always strive just to do something. If I don't feel like sprinting and doing pull-ups/chin-ups in the park then I won't, but I'll take a longer route to work and walk in my lunch break. Walking is my secret weapon. I started getting the bus to and from work a little while ago, and noticed myself quickly 'soften up'. I only walk about 2.5 miles a day but it makes a huge difference to my physique.

I can't see too much wrong with your diet. You don't seem to be consuming too many calories. Granted, the 'cheats' aren't optimal but they're not overly frequent. Maybe you could only have those things two days a week rather than three?

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I'm with dfast -- since you're not crazy into "working out" right now, how about adding in some "moving slowly" instead? Can you commit to walking, say, 8 or 10 or 12 miles per week?

Remember, it's not about burning more calories, but about resetting your metabolism.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Vick is offline Senior Member

I agree with BarbeyGirl. It is about resetting your metabolism. Walking is good but if it is the only thing you do then eventually part of your weight loss becomes muscle loss. 15 minutes of real heavy lifting once a week will have a huge impact.

Diet and exercise both need sticking power. It has to be something you enjoy doing or it won't stick.

Good luck.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Cutting calories through diet is a bad decision. Losing fat through workouts, thats the optimal decision right there.

I say find a type of exercise you love, then drop the title "exercise".

I personally have no routine except that I aim for 3 weight workouts a week, incorporating at-least 4 primal movements out of walk/run, squat, lunge, jump, push, pull, bend and twist. That makes it very interesting.

I also don't go to the gym only for physical benefit, I actually go more for the mental and spiritual benefit. It does wonders for me, but that is just me.

I guess if I were you I would just start moving more, even if it is just parking at the farthest spot in the parking lot at the mall, and taking the stairs everywhere. Walk to the grocery store or any store that you need to go near you. Most importantly, stop thinking of exercise as just exercise.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

maba is offline Senior Member

Pauleygirl, I could have written that post! Same here, 5 lb gain, still fit into the clothes that I got when I was 5 lbs lighter, but they feel tight around the legs - so, yeah, the fat has been redistributed - and the pictures tell that I've put on lots of weight on my face. I used to exercise regularly, but just like you, I haven't been eager to do it since I started PB. I lost 30 lbs with exercise and eating the CW way. So clearly, exercise is a key factor here. I'm trying to get back into a regular exercise routine - am aiming for 2 weights session per week and to "move slowly" as much as I can.

Just wanted to say you're not alone. Good luck with the exercise regimen.

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Whoa maba I didn't realize quite how similar we were! I lost a full 30 pounds with CW as well, but couldn't sustain the last 5 pounds very long (gained it back doing a half marathon plus 4 more...WTF?). So after losing about 5 pounds right away on PB I gained them back and am stuck at my post HM weight. Stupid! Oh well, slow and steady wins the race, and I'll get it back off

Pauleygirl the hardest part is getting started with your workout, so once you either get to the gym or turn on the DVD or get outside you'll be more likely to get a workout done! Sometimes if I'm having trouble finding a parking space near the gym (it's at a university, and I won't pay to park in a garage but I will pay for a meter), I'll start talking myself into just going home...but then I magically find an open spot and have to park and get out of the car Just getting my butt into the gym works every time.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

MariaNYC is offline Senior Member

pauleygirl, have you used FitDay or similar to monitor your carb intake? Mocha frappes have like 25g of sugar. At your weight, if you consistently keep carbs <10% of total calorie intake, I don&#39;t see how you wouldn&#39;t be losing weight.

I recently stopped exercising (I tend to go in cycles similar to dfast), and while I&#39;ve noticed my muscles aren&#39;t as hard, clothes aren&#39;t fitting any tighter. I think fat loss is something like 70-80% diet, with the rest being exercise and hormones.

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast