Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating too little? page

Neuroleptic is offline Junior Member

Eating too little?

Primal Fuel
    I've recently started going Primal and I've noticed that I am eating far less food and not feeling deprived. I only eat when I feel hungry and still feel satiated eating around 1250 calories a day. I am male, 6'1", and 210 lbs. Am I eating too few calories? I keep my carbs at around 50 grams. I understand that I will lose fat, but I will I lose muscle as well? Thanks in advance for any help!

peril is offline Senior Member
    If you burn fat to compensate, you'll be fine. Just make sure you satisfy your protein needs. Too little protein and your body will gear down
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

DFH
    DFH is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't worry about it. Calorie requirements are nonsense. Everyone is different.

DFH
    Even though I don't think much of calorie counting, I thought I would add up today's total just to see. I'm doing the leptin reset big protein breakfast type thing, so I stay pretty full all day. I do small lunch and small/snack size dinner and I'm good. I'm 51, 5'8 and about 200 lb. I can't be active because of an intestine surgery and it's been this way since Dec.

Total for today, and I erred on the side of over estimating, I think. Since I don't do this usually, maybe I messed up the estimates. I just used google.

1/2 Spaghetti Squash 84
    1/2 Avocado 140
    3 X large eggs 300
    2 tbls Butter 220
    1 Lara bar 200
    hard salami 100
    1 Can Tuna 120
    Carbmaster Yogurt 60

Total 1224

Before adding it up, I would have said I ate a lot today, for me at least.

abc123 is online now Senior Member
    Yes.. you will lose weight.. Most will be fat, but you will start to lose muscle as well @ some point.. Eating only 1,200+ calories is not enough calories to support a 200lb, 6'1, male frame.. I assume by asking about maintaining muscle, you probably are somewhat athletic & are in decent shape.. Assuming correct?

Eating less calories may be a new "look" & feel that you enjoy.. Being satiated with only a small amount of calories may be the balance you need.. You will certaintly be thinner though..

I battle similar problems.. I enjoy being a little heavier.. More of the look & feel that I'm going for, as opposed to super lean & thin that this diet does for me.. Everyone's different, I've always been slim, so adding weight creates balance for me..

To compensate, I've added more Fat to the diet.. Ups the calories, preserves some muscle, & keeps you from looking too thin, but also furthers satiation & won't have the side effects carbs do.. In my experience..

To sum it up I guess.. eating less calories than you are burning will absolutely cut weight.. Not sure how fast (for me it can happen very fast) but if that's what feels natural for your body, it should be a good thing.. I do think this eating style balances your body out & gives you the most natural, healthy look & feel for your genetics.. If weight drops too fast, I'd say just add some fat or a little dairy.. Avocados, butter, olive oil shots (something I've done before), nuts, cheese, etc.. I think keeping the carbs out is still a good thing..
    Last edited by abc123; 07-15-2011 at 07:21 PM.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuroleptic View Post
    I've recently started going Primal and I've noticed that I am eating far less food and not feeling deprived. I only eat when I feel hungry and still feel satiated eating around 1250 calories a day. I am male, 6'1", and 210 lbs. Am I eating too few calories?
    That's the effect or regaining hormonal balance. Counting calories is obsessive and superstitious.

I keep my carbs at around 50 grams. I understand that I will lose fat, but I will I lose muscle as well?
    BBC iPlayer - Frontiers: Muscle Wastage

JPA
    JPA is offline Senior Member
    I've recently started going Primal and I've noticed that I am eating far less food and not feeling deprived. I only eat when I feel hungry and still feel satiated eating around 1250 calories a day. I am male, 6'1", and 210 lbs. Am I eating too few calories? I keep my carbs at around 50 grams. I understand that I will lose fat, but I will I lose muscle as well? Thanks in advance for any help!
    Oh my god... I know there are people who are going to disagree with me, but bear this in mind: I'm 6'1/6'2, 150lbs and my regular maintenance is 2400 calories (non workout days). My basal metabolic rate is around 1600 calories BUT that's just if I laid in bed in a coma without moving at all. Your BMR and consequently, your maintenance levels should probably way higher than mine.

Still, I know what you feel: I was eating twice a day, now I'm eating 3 times a day just to get in enough calories to gain some weight.

I barely gained 1kg at 2400 calories a day for the last couple of weeks.

At 1200 calories you're eating like a really petite woman and you're going to screw up your adrenals and possibly well being.

Just a warning on my part, you don't need to follow it. And remember I'm only 150lbs and not even that active.

otzi Guest
    I'm 45, just under 6', went from 220 to 178. At 220, I could lose on 2500-3000 calories. After a long plateau, I find it takes 1500 calories w/sub 75 carbs to lose any appreciable weight, ie. 2lbs/mo. Any more than 1500 and I'm stalling. I have a very active (walk lots) job and do bodyweight exercises 3-4 days a week. I'm working hard to lose the spare tire I've had since I was a kid. I was stuck at 185 for 4 months or so.

Anywhooo - Don't get stuck in the rut of counting calories, if you are losing and can still lift heavy things you are golden! If you find you have no energy to exercise--you are doing something wrong.

DFH
    Quote Originally Posted by JPA View Post
    At 1200 calories you're eating like a really petite woman and you're going to screw up your adrenals and possibly well being.

Just a warning on my part, you don't need to follow it. And remember I'm only 150lbs and not even that active.
    You can't possibly know that. I did less than 1,300 yesterday and that was a lot of food, for me. Everyone is different and has different experience. And yeah, my thyroid and adrenals have already tanked. I knew that in 2007. But, eating more food is not the fix at this point.

Hitman is offline Member
    Scoobys Home Bodybuilding Workouts follow this i have had very good success with this webiste all about bodybuilding and it's for free.............. go under Nutrition then Calorie Calculator. Check out the rest of the site this guy who made the website bin working out since 1983.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast