Thread: Primal pregnancy exercise? page

paleo_hailey is offline Senior Member

Primal pregnancy exercise?

Primal Fuel
    So I'm finally pregnant! (Thanks to paleo... we tried for more than a year, went paleo for two months, and bingo! Rob Wolf isn't kidding.) I'm eating 100% paleo (I can't do dairy, otherwise I'd be primal) and trying to stay fit during this pregnancy, but all my pregnant-lady books suggest walking or gentle yoga, and I feel like I can do more than that... especially this early (I'm only six weeks.) I'm usually a krav maga fanatic, but contact sports are out the window for a while...

Does anyone have ideas for safe pregnancy exercise that's still challenging? I can handle walking, but I've tried yoga and it bores me to death. I am really going to miss the high I get from krav. And the arm muscles...

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    A pregnant woman can do pretty much anything a non pregnant woman can do - especially during the first 2 trimesters.
    the only stuff to avoid is things where you are lying down flat on your back for the whole exercise (flat bench press, etc).

Check out this blog I did from a while back on prenatal training. In the video I give a tough workout to a pregnant client - Fyi she delivered a very healthy baby boy last year!
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Troat is offline Junior Member
    Always talk to your doctor before start any exercise, I walked a lot through my pregnancy, and swimming is also a excellent exercise which is not too solid on your body. They also have yoga for pregnant women.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    I was a prenatal yoga teacher and my training was through a very conservative system. BUT the only things that were avoided were poses directly on your belly as well as intense back bends. I think basic bodyweight workouts would be fine to continue with. I wouldn't start a new, hardcore training program if you haven't worked out before (or, I'd start at the beginning--really honoring where you are right now). I probably would avoid anything plyometric etc, and focus on bodyweight stuff. I'd also follow your body and not push yourself in a manner that makes you feel ill/sick/injured. The first trimester can really sap your energy.

Just my .02! And, fwiw, a good friend of mine was big into working out, continued lifting through her whole pregnancay as well as doing things like handstands/headstands (yoga stuff) to the end. I bet if you google you'll find a lot more out there on working out during pregnancy...HTH!

ETA: Only other thing I'd avoid might be very specific core things like double leg lifts etc--things that might impact/cause something like diastis recti. I don't remember the details but that might be something to look into...
    Last edited by FairyRae; 07-16-2011 at 12:51 PM.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    So, you know the MS aspect of PBF won't be a problem. Walks in the park, walks through your neighborhood, etc. Be a primordial gatherer and walk to the store for dinner, if the store is in walking range. If all you've got is a treadmill, get on it and if you have a rambling hills setting, well, there you go.

I don't foresee a problem with any of the 5 Essential Movements. You may need to accommodate your growing tummy with the pushups, maybe do them inclined rather than flat, depending on the baby's size. With my first baby, that wouldn't have been an issue until the 8th month. (She's very slender and petite, calmly waiting to be born.) With her little sister, though, I would have got to inclined pushups starting about the 5th month! She was a couple inches and a pound heavier, and she was just all over the place in there. You'll be packing about 20 extra pounds for the pullups near the end, so you might need a little assistance with your feet on occasion. Or you might just grit your teeth and do it. I do my overhead presses with a barbell. Just couldn't do Mark's methods and finally just grabbed a barbell and did it. If you're doing it the way I do it, you may have to slightly adjust for balance, but I don't forsee a problem. Even the planks can be modified to suit your situation. I think squats are perfect to prepare you for labor. You need strong legs for all the pushing that's going to go on.

With my first child, I was Xenia warrior mommy before I know what was going to happen. I told the nurse I didn't need an epidural. It hurt, but I wanted to be all natural. Until the midwife announced the OB was coming in because my baby was breech. So, I ended up with that epidural anyway, but a quick c-section and I was holding my baby within 15 minutes of the OB's arrival.

I will say that it's very important that you care for both yourself and your little one while you're exercising. But, if you doctor approves and you go about it responsibly, I don't see this causing trouble. I think it might make the birthing experience easier for you to some degree.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanctus Real View Post
    So, you know the MS aspect of PBF won't be a problem. Walks in the park, walks through your neighborhood, etc. Be a primordial gatherer and walk to the store for dinner, if the store is in walking range. If all you've got is a treadmill, get on it and if you have a rambling hills setting, well, there you go.

I don't foresee a problem with any of the 5 Essential Movements. You may need to accommodate your growing tummy with the pushups, maybe do them inclined rather than flat, depending on the baby's size. With my first baby, that wouldn't have been an issue until the 8th month. (She's very slender and petite, calmly waiting to be born.) With her little sister, though, I would have got to inclined pushups starting about the 5th month! She was a couple inches and a pound heavier, and she was just all over the place in there. You'll be packing about 20 extra pounds for the pullups near the end, so you might need a little assistance with your feet on occasion. Or you might just grit your teeth and do it. I do my overhead presses with a barbell. Just couldn't do Mark's methods and finally just grabbed a barbell and did it. If you're doing it the way I do it, you may have to slightly adjust for balance, but I don't forsee a problem. Even the planks can be modified to suit your situation. I think squats are perfect to prepare you for labor. You need strong legs for all the pushing that's going to go on.

With my first child, I was Xenia warrior mommy before I know what was going to happen. I told the nurse I didn't need an epidural. It hurt, but I wanted to be all natural. Until the midwife announced the OB was coming in because my baby was breech. So, I ended up with that epidural anyway, but a quick c-section and I was holding my baby within 15 minutes of the OB's arrival.

I will say that it's very important that you care for both yourself and your little one while you're exercising. But, if you doctor approves and you go about it responsibly, I don't see this causing trouble. I think it might make the birthing experience easier for you to some degree.
    What an excellent response with wonderful modifications!
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco