Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't afford Crossfit - Good Substitutes - Is it worth it? page

Rachel_k is offline Junior Member

Can't afford Crossfit - Good Substitutes - Is it worth it?

Shop Now
    Hi Everyone - I've been wanting to join a local crossfit gym that a good freind goes to but keep waffling about the price. Even for just 2 days a week it's over $100 a month, and I think we all know if I'm waffling and going back and forth that probably means I can't afford it. My husband and I are working on a Dave Ramsey style personal finance rehab, so I totally see where that 1200 could go over the next year instead of paying for a gym. On the other hand I wonder if I'll be able to get anything like the results crossfit delivers on my own.

I do have a tiny gym in my building, and access to great local parks. I haven't been hiking but there is some decent hiking within an hour or where I live (Atlanta)

So I'd love some input on wether people think Crossfit is worth making sacrifices elsewhere to be affordable, or if there are ways to craft your own sessions to get similar good results.

My friend's box is running a 45 day paleo challenge which I've joined in on, and am doing really wekk this first week (have lost 5.5 pounds already and cutting dairy except some butter and heavy cream seems to have done a lot for my overall compliance) I just cut an apple and it was unappetizingly sweet to my taste, after just a week.

I've checked out bodyrock, I recently did 2 months of a bootcamp and I regularly workout on my own, doing lifting, jogs and sometimes yoga and pilates. The thing I don't think I can do myself is get started really lifing heavy (no olympic style weights at my building's gym, only DB's and a smith machine and I'm not familiar with technique)

Ive used the TRX system before and that would only be the same cost as 1 or 2 months at the gym to invest in, anyone had much experience with using TRX?

My goals are to reduce body fat (I'm around 30% currently) and gain strength, and to gain endurance (have plans to do my first 5k in early November, currently can only run about 3/4 of a mile without a walk break)

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    If you have to ask, I'd say no. This is strictly speaking form a financial standpoint (I'm from the Dave Ramsey school of finance too!).

I have also been considering Crossfit so am also interested to hear what people have to say who have done it.

I can easily afford it, but want to see what I can achieve on my own first. If my fitness and health continue to improve, I'll likely consider it to go to the "next level-" for many, working out with a team/ coach will squeeze out that extra effort.

astronmr20 is offline Senior Member
    Not to HIjack Rachel_k's thread, but I am wondering there's anyone in here in the Charlotte area doing XF?

eelnus is offline Senior Member
    I think it's totally worth it. I was working out with a PT before I started CF and thought i was working hard...not even close. There is no way i can ever push myself that hard if I'm working out on my own. I thought i was, but I had no clue.
    At least take the On Ramp/Fundamentals class to get a taste of it.
    I also think it's a good deal because if you think about how much a PT cost, CF is a fraction of that and way better. Plus you save so much time. You don't have to plan or think about what you're going to do. You just show up and do the WODs and you're in and out within an hour. No wondering around trying to figure out what to do next.

pizzmor is offline Member
    I am of the opinion that you don't need a gym or to pay someone else to do crossfit type workouts....just my 2 cents, unless you are the type of person that thrives in the teacher/student environment and would do better in a structured class environment. Personally I think if you put some work into it and figure out a plan of action, you can do just fine on your own. I hate the carrot and the stick.

Check out some bodyweight exercises on the internet and go from there.
    www.everymanpaleo.com

"Its not that I am too old, your music really does suck..."

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    crossfit, many affiliates, some kettlebell gyms and several other types of organizations post WOD's if you like that sort of thing.

Personally if somebody is going to tell me exactly what to do I want them paying me.

Melody is offline Senior Member
    why not join a less expensive gym and do those workouts there? all the info you need is free on the internet.

waharris007 is offline Junior Member
    Ha! So funny seeing Dave's name here on MDA in a post about Crossfit! I've been eating primal for a few months, I just started CF this week, and I work for Dave in Nashville! Convergence!

Dave's answer would be no. He specifically mentions personal trainers occasionally as an area to cut. Crossfit is different from a regular trainer, though. If you're in the midst of your debt snowball or emergency fund savings, I'd use your desire to hit CF as more motivation to drop a nuclear bomb on your debt. That said, at least in my CF box, everyone has to do an eight-session Fundamentals course before they can join the group for the WODs. I'm two sessions into Fundamentals. Basically, they teach you the perfect form for all the central CF movements. I'm paying less than $200 for those eight sessions. If your box offers something similar, you could do that intro to learn the movements and get a good start, and then do the WODs from the CF website on your own. Just a thought.

Good luck with the Baby Steps! It's not always easy, but man, is it the right way to go. Good job!
    -Allen

Sanctus Real is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I wouldn't spend the kind of money you have to on CF when you can do PBF for free. But that's me, and if you're looking for more of a challenge, maybe CF will work for you. I think waharris had a very good suggestion, to take the training sessions but then do the WODs you can get online. That way, you can do it, but with an eye toward not blowing your budget.
    Motherhood: When changing from pj pants to yoga pants qualifies as 'getting dressed'.

davem is offline Senior Member
    The prices for CF are ridiculous. Locally it's 150 a month to work out in a park, or 180 to have the benefit of a roof, per month. Are you kidding me?

I'd suggest investing in a good pt, go through the rippetoe lifts, and then DIY.
    My Fitday public journal.
    Me vs. Russian Boar, hunt is on Aug. 20th. WHAT'S MORE PRIMAL THAN THAT?!
    Recently survived Warrior Dash, New England.
    Game Developer, ex-Chef, long time Fatbody.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast