Thread: Starches page

David is offline Senior Member

Cool Starches

Shop Now
    I have been eating a Paleo diet and while not needing to lose weight actually needed to gain weight. I increased the amount of protein, fats, and carbs (re:eating approx. 4 to 8 ounces of sweet potatoes a day). I gained 27 lbs. in 9 months. Lifting heavy and crossfit each week. Now, I want to keep the strength but lose the new love handles and tummy fat. Would eliminating the sweet potatoe, being just 4 to 8 ounces a day, reduce the love handles and belly fat? I do not eat dairy nor any other starches. In the past I have had trouble losing the "handles and belly fat" eating a strict Paleo diet albeit eating too little.

abc123 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah.. Eliminating the starches will reduce the calories anyway, needing to drop the weight.. Adding more fat, while eliminating the starches, may be an interesting combo that keeps the weight, keeps the muscle, but loses the fat.. Actually works me like that.. I use the starches now as a refeed to help get me leaner (starch can get you over a plateau when "cutting" or trying to lean out).. I'd stick with a little higher fat, drop the starch, & stick with it for a month.. You shouldn't lose too much weight since calories will still be somewhat high, but eliminating the glucose spikes & carbs from the sweet potatoes may switch your body to using fat for fuel & you'll start leaning, while maintaining some muscle.. Sweet spot (gotta keep working out though.. Resist. training is whatever form you like)