Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wait, now I'm confused... page

bryanvela is offline Junior Member

Wait, now I'm confused...

Shop Now
    Reading one of the threads in this forum has confused me. So, am I really just spinning my wheels doing body weight exercises as advocated in the Primal Blueprint Fitness e-book? I thought this would be a good way for me to build muscle mass without needing to use weights (and risking injury, and also without needing a spotter). But it sounds like I might be wasting my time. I don't want to be a body builder, but I do want to at least look good shirtless.

I'm starting out with very little muscle mass, by the way.

peril is offline Senior Member
    PBF will give you a lean muscular look. Definitely enough to look good naked. However, building more mass will require weights.
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Yup. Depends on your goals.

If you want to look lean and athletic, it's fine. If you want to look buff, you're going to need serious weights.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Lean and athletic is what I'm going for. I'm married, so I don't need to impress the ladies with "The Gun Show" as such.

Still, it sounded like even getting "lean and athletic" required lifting weights. Or maybe it's because I don't have very many muscles to begin with. Not entirely sure.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    You'll be fine, work towards some gymnastics moves and you'll see much more muscle mass. Your bodyweight is more than enough once you start changing the leverage.

For instance, try doing a push up but placing your hands closer to your hips. That slight modification makes the push-up much more challenging. You're technically not adding any weight but you will notice the difference. This can be done for pretty much all body weight exercises. Once something becomes easy, think of a way to complicate it, do it with only one arm, do it for a longer period of time (static holds) etc etc... your body is all you need.

(I also lift weights but if I absolutely had to I would feel confident with just a bodyweight routine - provided I could still do pull ups, of course)

That's a good idea, iniQuity! Thanks!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I think the bias towards barbells is based on the idea that barbells are extremely scalable and measurable as well as in many ways closer to real-world strength activities than body weight can be. What is more "functional" a heavy deadlift or a shrimp squat? Gymnasts don't use barbells, so it's definitely possible not to use them. Herschel Walker famously did several hundred pushups per day and no other exercise, and he did ok.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

pizzmor is offline Member
    Dude check out this website, it is one of my favorites and is dedicated to body weight exercises.

http://www.bodyweightculture.com

I would say start there and then do a Google search for prison workout, convict conditioning, and Hannibal for King to see a real freak of nature in the body weight arena. It is possible to get what you are looking for by doing body weight stuff, you just need a good foundation and know what do do.

Hope this helps.
    www.everymanpaleo.com

"Its not that I am too old, your music really does suck..."

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Check out Al Kavadlo's blog. He's been doing exclusively bodyweight stuff for about 4 years, I think, and looks pretty good.
    PB Fitness is a good start. Convict Conditioning is the next step, followed by Building the Gymnastic Body. I'm pretty sure I can get where I want with those programs.

Just remember, 80% of body composition is determined by your diet. Workouts will help you build muscle, but you'll never see it unless your way of eating is on track.

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    People who say bodyweight exercises won't build great muscle have no imagination.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast