Thread: Increased sensitivity to caffeine? page

tobias is offline Member

Increased sensitivity to caffeine?

Primal Fuel
    Ever since I started going primal (about a month and a half ago), I've noticed that I have become VERY sensitive to caffeine. I used to be able to slam 16-32 oz of black coffee/day and be totally fine with it. Now, I find that most mornings I can get away with only drinking 8 oz of black coffee. If I have any more than that, I get really jittery and restless, and its just really uncomfortable.

Has this happened to anyone else or does anyone know why this may be happening?

Paleobird Guest
    I think Primal just increases your sensitivity to everything. It's like your senses have been dulled for so long in this puffy carb overload that, when they finally come out they just seem super sensitive. Really they are getting back to normal.

For instance lots of people have reported that they don't use as much salt as they used to just because they can really taste the flavors of the food and it doesn't need salt. Also people have reported getting more sensitive to alcohol. Plus latent sensitivities to things such as dairy and grains can become severe when you have really cleaned out your system for a while and then re-indulge.
    Last edited by Paleobird; 07-15-2011 at 11:41 AM.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    YES. It has happened to me.

As much as I love it, it was wrecking me. I sat there so many days with heart palpitations and a feeling of being unable to completely catch my breath, and I finally said, "This is madness. Nothing is worth this."
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    YES - ME TOO! Hmmm. Wonder why. Even tea too late in the day will keep me up past bedtime. I'm drinking hot citrus tea if I want something hot after dinner now.

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Me, too! I could typically drink a whole pot of coffee before. Now I'm stopping at two to three cups because I poke people with needles for a living and I have to stop when my hands might start shaking. I actually get twitches in my thumbs if I drink four or more cups. I also get faint upon standing sometimes. Now I often just drink one cup fro the whole day, sometimes a second cup at lunch.

Labhraín is offline Junior Member

I'm the same way...

I rarely drink coffee or (caffeinated) tea anymore. If I have a cup of coffee, I feel as if I could bounce off the walls. I used to drink copious amounts daily.

Marquette is offline Member
    It has for me. I have been primal for about six months. Before I could drink a pot of coffee just before bed and feel no ill effects. Just this month I have found that I can't take the caffeine anymore. Actually have planned on cutting out coffee starting monday. It is just messing me up too much.

lssanjose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Paleobird View Post
    I think Primal just increases your sensitivity to everything. It's like your senses have been dulled for so long in this puffy carb overload that, when they finally come out they just seem super sensitive. Really they are getting back to normal.

For instance lots of people have reported that they don't use as much salt as they used to just because they can really taste the flavors of the food and it doesn't need salt. Also people have reported getting more sensitive to alcohol. Plus latent sensitivities to things such as dairy and grains can become severe when you have really cleaned out your system for a while and then re-indulge.
    This has been happening to me since I shifted to primal. Caffeine is a double-edge sword for me. I'm not fond of the taste of decaf, but I'm trying to be more sparing on my coffee intake. I don't know about espressos, but I think they don't give me the jolt, coffee has (I don't know why).

I'm getting used to telling others I'm gluten-sensitive, but not allergic. I really think I am. I wouldn't think I'd feel funny after eating some rotisserie chicken, but those with wheat bearing ingredients made me really feel the glutenous effects. To combat that sleepy feeling, I had to do pull ups to wake myself up..

Dalton is offline Senior Member
    Alright now dammit.....I just had a cup of coffee and came back and the first thread I read is the breast thread. I haven't checked that thread in a while because it was a tease. Then I see someone post some nonsense about "more" pics so it goes without saying that I immediately scanned every page in the thread only to find that there are NO pics.....then I come to this thread only to find out that there may well be wheat bearing ingredients in rotisserie chicken!!! WTF is going on here??? My mellow is being harshed and I do NOT like it.....not one bit. Dammit.