Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fermented Oats Improved my Fitness page

Red Wire is offline Senior Member

Fermented Oats Improved my Fitness

Primal Fuel
    Quick recap of my primal experience; tried it for six months, felt great at first and then crashed hard. Got sick a lot, battled a recurring sinus infection, couldn't do any intense exercise.

Finally I upped the carbs, started eating tons of potatoes, both white and sweet, and cut back on protein. Things were looking good. I kept my weight down, I felt better, and I think I've finally banished that sinus infection. My lesson from this was, if I can plenty of carbs without ill effect whats the next step? I decided to pursue weston a. price style grain preparations. On workout days or just for some variety I've thrown in thick cut oats soaked in a water and yogurt mixture for 24 hours. The end product cooks up in about 5 minutes and I add in butter, maple syrup, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and some sea salt.

The results were almost immediate. My workouts (nothing fancy, mark's 5 essentials) improved. I gained 2 to 3 reps in every exercise right of the bat. Previously, during a workout I would be hit by a feeling of nausea and dizziness about 3/4 of the way in and I would have to stop and lay down before completing my sets. That feeling has disappeared.

My guess is the oats filled in the some micronutrient holes in my diet. The conclusion, grains arent evil and actually are useful in a diet. Small disclaimer though, I've never had overt or acute issues with gluten so I was able to dive in with much hesitation. I've since incorporated some sprouted sourdough(finally I can eat a sandwich again) which is actually pretty delicious.

If your finding that primal doesn't fix all your woes, I'd seriously consider adding some fermented grains to your diet.
    "One can only be a perfect physician for oneself alone. " ~ Luigi Cornaro

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Very interesting to hear your experience. I can imagine your feeling more energetic with adding potatoes and I do eat them from time to time. I do think some of us need more carbs than others. I find I have to limit mine or I get hungry quicker and then tend to eat more. When I started eating primal I always imagined I would go back to eating Sally Fallon, recommended, food preparation methods but I am not sure if I will now. I do have bread on rare occasion when I go out to dinner but find that it seems to be just a "butter delivery vehicle" now. The bread seems tasteless. I do like the crunch still though.

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member
    Primal eating isn't necessarily low-carb, it's just about eating the right foods that we've adapted to over all this time. I've read quite a few posts on here and other sites where people feel better once they begin to eat more high-carb meals / snacks, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's brilliant that this works for you, but have you tried eating more carbs without the grains?

pizzmor is offline Member
    I guess I am lucky in that I seam to be able to do very well eating primal/paleo with little to no carb laden foods. My wife is Asian, so there is a lot of rice eaten in my house and I do eat a cup of cooked mixed brown and white rice from time to time. Point is, this works for me and technically isn't strict primal or paleo. Its good that you were able to add something into your primal diet that helps you yet allows you to still be mostly primal.

Good for you.

And great point KG!
    www.everymanpaleo.com

"Its not that I am too old, your music really does suck..."

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    tel me more about this fermented oatmeal and why it is good for you?
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by KG View Post
    Primal eating isn't necessarily low-carb, it's just about eating the right foods that we've adapted to over all this time. I've read quite a few posts on here and other sites where people feel better once they begin to eat more high-carb meals / snacks, and there's nothing wrong with that. It's brilliant that this works for you, but have you tried eating more carbs without the grains?
    As I said, I used a mixture of sweet and white potatoes when I first went higher carb. Roasted in plenty of butter of course

Didn't try adding grains back in until a few months of just potatoes.

Raiken3712 is offline Senior Member
    Yeah I'm sorta confused he talked about adding two things at once more carbs in the form of potatoes and oats. How do you know its the oats that was good for you and not the Potatoes/Sweet potatoes. Also you had cinnamon, butter, yogurt, and sea salt in it...maybe these helped instead.

Also fermented implies the creation of probiotics right? Maybe you just needed to fix your gut flora which you could also do by eating other fermented things that aren't grains. I suppose if that's all the grain you eat and it doesn't cause you problems its not a big deal just sayin.
    Last edited by Raiken3712; 07-15-2011 at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    tel me more about this fermented oatmeal and why it is good for you?
    The bacteria involved in the fermentation process neutralizes enzyme inhibitors in grains(phytic acid) and eases the impact of gluten on your digestive system by predigesting the proteins. The vitamins and minerals present in oats are more bioavailable(particularly b vitamins).

Quote Originally Posted by Raiken3712 View Post
    Yeah I'm sorta confused he talked about adding two things at once more carbs in the form of potatoes and oats. How do you know its the oats that was good for you and not the Potatoes/Sweet potatoes. Also you had cinnamon, butter, yogurt, and sea salt in it...maybe these helped instead.

Also fermented implies the creation of probiotics right? Maybe you just needed to fix your gut flora which you could also do by eating other fermented things that aren't grains. I suppose if that's all the grain you eat and it doesn't cause you problems its not a big deal just sayin.
    Maybe I should have made it clearer in my post. The potatoes and oats were added separately. The potatoes came several months before the oats. They improved my energy and helped me get over the sinus infection but the benefits to my exercise program werent noted until adding the fermented oats. It might have been solely because of the probiotics but I have a feeling its the combo that helped. As I mentioned above, the fermentation process makes vitamins more available.

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member
    That's interesting, thanks for sharing. I found I get fatigue and low mood on LC so am adding in carbs. I'm having trouble finding ones I can eat though. If I am nightshade intolerant I may also try fermented/ sprouted grains (gluten free as I am celiac) as I really need solid starches and I can't eat sweet potatoes at every meal for the rest of my life lol.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast