Thread: Boiling Veggies page

nitrofish1 is offline Member

Boiling Veggies

Primal Fuel
    Does the old talk of boiling vegetables make them lose their nutrition hold true? I'm still looking for ways of easing them into my life right now, and I'd like to try a mixed vegetable mash, but not if it ends up taking me two steps backwards.

Thanks

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    It's a mixed bag: the low temperature preserves some nutrients that stir-frying might destroy, but a lot is also leached into the boiling water, especially minerals. Best way for a mash is to steam or use the microwave, which results in the preservation of the same heat-sensitive nutrients, while not losing too much of the water-soluble stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by AndreaReina View Post
    It's a mixed bag: the low temperature preserves some nutrients that stir-frying might destroy, but a lot is also leached into the boiling water, especially minerals. Best way for a mash is to steam or use the microwave, which results in the preservation of the same heat-sensitive nutrients, while not losing too much of the water-soluble stuff.
    Id still be able to get them soft enough to make a mash steaming them?

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Yup. Boiling is essentially steaming with extra water being incorporated into the veggies. So if the result of steaming is a little dry, add a little water (preferably what's left in the pot you used to steam them) and mix it in.

Alright, thank you andrea!

SugarBaby is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaReina View Post
    +1, grill, stir-fry, braise all cook quickly without leaching the goodies. Exception is making something like soup when you eat the liquid.
    WWW.SUGARAHOLICS.COM

I was a sugarbaby; meaning since I was born I was given lots of sugar, and ate lots of processed foods, especially sweets until I was into my thirties. Most people in the west were/are sugarbabies.

“How does today’s youngster educate his sense of taste? By submerging it in a sea of sugar from the time he gets up to the time he goes to bed.” W. Root and Richard DeRochemont, Eating in America (1976)