Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best food for my 8 month old boxer? page

Chet Clucas is offline Junior Member

What is the best food for my 8 month old boxer?

I try two feed him good food such as chicken food for the dog (puppy)lovers soul, science diet, and Eukanuba but my dog, seems to like the cheaper food better, like Great choice, puppy chaw and these foods seem to have to much bone meal. What is the best food for my dog? That may tast good for him and dosent cost to much?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

mbt men shoes sale mbt womens shoes sale shoes mbt
    Last edited by Chet Clucas; 07-15-2011 at 01:03 AM.

Grizz is offline Banned
    We have a friend who feeds her dog only deer meat.

Dogs have evolved to eat meat and should not be given foods that contain grain fillers.

Grizz

catols is offline Junior Member
    I volunteer with a rescue group and we often get dogs with issues. Right now I am fostering an American Bulldog with IBS. We feed him Taste of the Wild and his digestion is perfect now. Blue Buffalo is also a very good food but we never tried it with Freddy since we found success with the Taste of the Wild. Also be careful of store bought treats most have all kinds of stuff in them. If you don't make your own jerky there are several good brands on the market for dog just read the labels.
    Starting weight - 226
    Height - 5 ft 8 in
    Goal - When I can buy clothes without a W in the size and my doctor and I agree I have lost enough. But if you want a real number we think about 160 to 165.

I usually compare cheap junk dog food diets to cheap junk human food diets. Sure, it tastes good. Is it good for them? Not by a long shot. They're crap and full of grain fillers.

Not entirely sure about the first dog food you mentioned, but I know Science Diet has grain fillers and ends up heavily promoted by vets, and Eukanuba's food for large breeds says it has no fillers. It's a plain flat out lie, since the second ingredient is chicken by-products, and the third is CORN!

Definitely look into the foods that were already mentioned, and remember that even though it's more expensive, it's worth it for your animals health. Remember that you can also supplement with extra fat, meat and veggies if you want to ration his kibble.

jenh is offline Senior Member
    Vernon Hills, IL (Northern Chicago suburbs)
    Well, I'm certainly no expert. But I do not recommend grain fillers - especially corn and wheat. Some dogs will have issues with all types of grain. I had my beagle, Lady, on blue buffalo for awhile and it must've been too rich for her to digest well. I then went to Purina Pro Plan Selects based upon my vet's recommendation. (Yes, I know the name Purina may not inspire confidence but it is much better than typical Purina.) I have been trying some new things with my new dog, Lia, that I got in February. She seems to have excessive itching which we think is a food allergen issue. So again, I will work on first eliminating corn and wheat; if that doesn't work then I will get of all grain including rice, barley, etc. So my number one thing is stay away from corn and wheat followed by steering clear of all grains...
    My goal pic...

Sugar is a damn drug. It's a sick and evil cycle that I must break permanently. GROKETTE ON!

http://www.etsy.com/shop/JLDesignStudio (My personal designs & creations of quality handcrafted jewelry. Items for grokettes AND groks of all ages.)

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    no corn, no wheat, no crap. try to go as grain free as possible. check out Taste of the Wild...my dog loves it

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Do not go to a raw food or homemade diet unless you study it thoroughly. You can hurt your dog, especially since it's a growing pup. They need specific nutrients and to not have that during the growth stage is damaging.

For now, it would be best to find a high quality(won't find it in the grocery store or vets office) kibble with no grains/fillers. When you buy this new food, make sure you switch the pup over slowly as to avoid digestive upset.

75% old brand and 25% new brand for 1 week
    50% old brand and 50% new brand for 1 week
    25% old brand and 75% new brand for 1 week
    The fully switch them over. If the dog gets loose stools, just use more of the old brand and less of the new until he adjusts.

RachelZoe is offline Senior Member
    I have no advice...but I just love boxers! I'm babysitting my boyfriend's four year old boxer this week, and he's the sweetest dog ever.

Nanci is offline Member
    I feed Taste of the Wild, which is grain-free, but I don't know if it is appropriate for an 8 month old. I love it for my adult rescue pit, though! Her coat is super-shiny and soft and the allergies she had when I got her are completely gone.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanci View Post
    I feed Taste of the Wild, which is grain-free, but I don't know if it is appropriate for an 8 month old. I love it for my adult rescue pit, though! Her coat is super-shiny and soft and the allergies she had when I got her are completely gone.
    taste of the wild is for any age dog (cats now too). i've been feeding it to my pup since he was three months old.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast