Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead page

aireals is offline Member

Fat, Sick & Nearly Dead

Shop Now
    For anyone who uses Netflix as their primal indulgence ( I use Netflix through stream rather than cable) there is a new documentary on there called Fat, Sick & nearly Dead. Im watching it right now and its absurd. Its basic idea is the key to health is a 60 day fast of only fruit and vegetable juicing. Its worth a watch and a good rant.. be warned its awful.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I JUST watched that this evening. Actually there are quite a few really good documentaries on Netflix.

Some other good docs to watch:
    Radically Simple
    Ingredients
    Fat Head
    King Corn
    Freakonomics
    Food Beware: The French Organic Revolution
    The Future of Food
    What's On Your Plate
    How to Cook Your Life
    Deconstructing Supper

Quote Originally Posted by Diana Renata View Post
    I JUST watched that this evening. Actually there are quite a few really good documentaries on Netflix.

Some other good docs to watch:
    Radically Simple
    Ingredients
    Fat Head
    King Corn
    Freakonomics
    Food Beware: The French Organic Revolution
    The Future of Food
    What's On Your Plate
    How to Cook Your Life
    Deconstructing Supper
    Indeed, I actually learned about primal diet from doing follow up research after watching Fat Head. Ive watched it a few times actually. Im still watching this movie though and Im still face palming.

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    By total freaky coincidence, I *just* finished watching this via NetFlix streaming. In fact, I still have tears in my eyes. What's so awful about it, again??

Lately I've been getting into more raw foods and have been juicing every morning, although I still am eating cooked food, including meat, for dinner. I'm down another size*, I'm beginning to get "the glow", and I feel fan-freaking-tastic. It's really kicked it up to a whole other level for me.

ETA: *after a long stall
    Last edited by TigerLily; 07-14-2011 at 09:15 PM.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps a silly part would be the fact that they cut out all junk food for 60 days, and then suggest that juicing had much of a role and that juicing is the really hot ticket that everyone NEEDS to get behind. They got rid of the junk! Fruits and vegetables are great and provide nutrients that many people are lacking, but to suggest that people need to consume nothing but juice is sensationalist hogwash. They could have meat, eggs and fat and cooked potatoes and other vegetables, I use a steamer, and they would probably improve even more because they wouldn't be denying themselves nutrients not easily found in raw fruits and vegetables. Sounds like irrational ideology to me. "Oh but stabby juicing is so great yaaay juice it is like da shiznit" if you can use to it get more potassium and magnesium that's super, but why limit someone to that?. Carotenoids are better absorbed from cooked vegetables. It's a very specific reaction that busts open the cellulose and you need heat.

If I had to make one of these films it would be boring and nobody would watch it
    Last edited by Stabby; 07-14-2011 at 09:26 PM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    The 100% juicing in the movie was only done for a brief period (60 days for the main character, 10 days for another, another was still eating what he wanted and was using the juice as an adjunct and still benefited) as a system reboot. Nobody ever said anything anywhere about exclusive juicing for eternity. Towards the end, it shows Aussie Joe (main character) eating cooked food and nobody at any time says anything about not eating meat. On the food pyramid that is shown several times, it includes meat.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    People get the same awesome turnaround on paleo diets including more types of food. Seems unnecessary. it is sensationalism. And perhaps I shouldn't be so critical because there is success with it, but there are going to be people who really don't want to do that, and they shouldn't. My personal recs to those people would include at least one big animal protein meal per day, preferably in the morning, and some protein like bone broth and gelatin powder, for repairs. Nothing but juice is a very catabolic diet and it doesn't provide the stuff needed to repair the body, particularly the gut. Heck they won't even synthesize all of the glutathione they need, and I don't think glutathione is properly absorbed through the gut, it gets destroyed before much of it absorbs.

Again, it's hard to argue because there is success, but I don't go around praising success, only assailing what I perceive to be inadequacies, even when otherwise good.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    If I had to make one of these films it would be boring and nobody would watch it
    In light of the fact that a one sided piece of biased rhetoric like 'Supersize Me' was nominated for numerous awards including an Oscar for 'Best Documentary', I'm sadly inclined to agree.

My personal opposition is not to the idea of juicing. Juicing is an easy way to get healthy carbs into your body easily. The part I thought to be absolutely awful was that they truly believe only drinking juice for 2 months is healthy. How can someone really think thats the way we were intended to nourish our body... Along with this they had their own food pyramid which I believe starting at the base was "Veggies and fruits, then Legumes and beans, (forgot the one next to it) then chicken poultry and eggs with beef and sugars at the top". I still cant understand why people believe we are not supposed to eat meat. They even open admitted and documented that in the first 2 days you slip into a huge hunger depression where you can hardly leave bed and just have numerous bowel movements... really?!?
    Last edited by aireals; 07-15-2011 at 03:50 AM.

marthat is offline Senior Member
    My morbidly obese brother saw this film via Netflix over a week ago and was inspired to buy a juicer that night and start juicing. He is still eating small amounts of other foods. He has a lapband, which he has managed to eat (and drink sugar!) around and maintained his weight without success in losing much. Now, in 1 week of juicing he is down 7 lbs. I honestly believe that his body is getting real nourishment for the first time in a long while, as he usually can only eat very small portions of regular foods. He usually eats no bread or pasta thanks to the lapband, but can manage small amounts of rice. He drinks alot of dairy.

In support of his efforts, I have just finished an 8 day "modified juice fast", allowing myself some healthy fats as coconut milk in coffee and 2 avocados per day. I have dropped 6 lbs, lots of inches and 2% BF. And I feel absolutely fantastic! I consider it a "cleanse" or "reboot", not a permanent WOE, like Tiger Lily said above. My vegetable consumption has skyrocketted this past week, and I was already a good veggie eater.

I haven't yet seen the movie as it's not available on Canadian Netflix, but I am travelling to see my state-side brother next week. So far, I've only seen the trailer and visited the website. Nobody there is advocating it as a forever diet. Just a really effective reboot.

Fastinating to hear of your experience, LC. Wow!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast